Forced to cut hair.....

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
A high school wrestler was forced by a referee to cut his hair or forfeit a match. It seems to me that wrestling with a lot of hair, that could get pulled would be a safety concern. If I was wrestling that would be what I would go after, especially if I was on the bottom. It seems a few years ago this was not a problem, but now it is for someone to be required to cut their hair for a reason.

https://abc13.com/society/referee-in-ha ... n/4974980/

I've read several articles on this and what no one seems to say is if the wrestler was in fact in violation. They seem to want to fluff the situation with feelings and non-related info, but don't address if there was in fact an infraction.

Exactly, you would think any decent reporter would have a paragraph including the high school league rules. From what I've gathered he did have a head cover on and had been wrestling all year like that. If the kid was violating the rules, to bad for him. But if the ref was just being a Richard, he should be punished.

Rules are rules, surely the kid and his coaches knew his hair style wasn't allowed without a covering. Truth be known he probably forgot the the thing and tried to wrestle anyway. I can definitely see were long hair would be a no no in wrestling.

Seems like since he had a cap on, which had been allowed all year, they shouldn't change the rules as he was literally starting a match. Kinda humiliating for the kid, and not very respectful to him or his family, to chop his hair off in public like that.

The referee was also at fault for missing weigh ins which is where he is suppose to address these issues, not out on
the mat in public 1 minute before the start of the match where it makes it appear his intent is/was a public shaming.

This is from a different article:
Johnson was in a dual meet against Oakcrest High School in Hamilton, New Jersey, when Maloney ordered him to get a haircut or forfeit. The ref didn't give the student the option of wearing a cap, according to NJ.com.

In March 2016, Maloney allegedly used a racial slur during an argument at a Jersey Shore condo after a youth-wrestling tournament in Wildwood, according to NJ.com. He later apologized.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/22/wrestling ... readlocks/

Latest posts