Footrot Vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

SimAngHerf

Reaction score
So do any of you use or have good results with foot rot vaccines? I use a good mineral with EDDI iodine as well.

A foot rot vaccine would be way down on my list. In fact, is not on my radar. I have not had it in my herd for 5 years.

I wish I could say the same, it doesn't seem to be the same cows each year but I will usually have a few cases each year and typically lose one cow out of 100ish because she will hide and I'll locate her after it gets in the bone or is untreatable.

Like I stated in a previous thread. I do use foot rot vaccines and have had good results. I have used LA200/300 but only use either Nuflor or Draxxin now. Have had good results with both. We keep Draxxin on hand and use it first. Have had it not work on 1 cow and then used Nuflor on her. We keep minerals out also.

Used Fusoguard (sp?) on the bulls for a few years. I didn't see any noticeable difference. Maybe we would have had more cases had we not used it. Anyway, quit using it and still get the odd case. This year has been particularly bad for the cows. I wonder if it was the extreme dry followed by a lengthy rainy period. Everyone I talk to locally is having the same issue, doesn't seem to be any difference between those that feed mineral and those that don't.

Bright Raven":2ma17510 said:
A foot rot vaccine would be way down on my list. In fact, is not on my radar. I have not had it in my herd for 5 years.
What about BVD, Lepto, Blackleg, Vibrio, tetanus and everything else you vaccinate for Ron, when was the last time you had them in your herd?

Ken

wbvs58":3dqmlz4f said:
Bright Raven":3dqmlz4f said:
What about BVD, Lepto, Blackleg, Vibrio, tetanus and everything else you vaccinate for Ron, when was the last time you had them in your herd?

Ken

I have not had a case of BVD, Tetani, Blackleg, Leptospirosis or Vibriosis. The consequences of foot rot is in a different league from BVD, Lepto, Blackleg, Vibro and Tetanus. For foot rot, it means an inconvenience, the other diseases mean the loss of a pregnancy or cow.

I share a fenceline with a producer who brings in sale barn cattle. The risk of losing pregnancies due to BVD, vibrio, or lepto demands vaccination. Tetani and Clostridium chauvoei (blackleg) are in the environment everywhere and are lethal. They also demand vaccination.

As long as I don't see foot rot, I will not vaccinate for it. But I will continue to use Bovi Shield Gold FP5 VL5 for BVD, Lepto and Vibrio. And Covexin 8 for the Clostridials.

In the past, I would never have 1 or 2 cows get footrot. When we dealt with footrot, it would be 20-30 cows and it would really be time consuming. So much so that other things get neglected. We do vaccinate with Fusogard now. Outbreaks are rare so I don't know how well it works, but I would rather throw some money away than go through an outbreak and wonder if vaccinating would have eliminated the problem.

I don't vaccinate for it. Didn't even know you could. I had three cases out of about 25 cows one year when I had stopped feeding the EDDI salt and switched to plain white salt. No cases before or since.

Rafter S":1kp0sakl said:
I don't vaccinate for it. Didn't even know you could. I had three cases out of about 25 cows one year when I had stopped feeding the EDDI salt and switched to plain white salt. No cases before or since.
I recently saw a foot rot vaccine in either the Jeffers or Valley Vet catalogue but until then didn't realize it was even available. I'll get a couple cases each year but "foot rot" is subjective: couple months ago when I pulled a stick wedged in between the toes of one of my girls, if she had been vaccinated would it still have segued into foot rot or just hurt like he!!? Hmmm. The mineral I feed does have EDDI.

Bright Raven":w6jbwy7c said:
wbvs58":w6jbwy7c said:
Bright Raven":w6jbwy7c said:

Ken

I have not had a case of BVD, Tetani, Blackleg, Leptospirosis or Vibriosis. The consequences of foot rot is in a different league from BVD, Lepto, Blackleg, Vibro and Tetanus. For foot rot, it means an inconvenience, the other diseases mean the loss of a pregnancy or cow.

I share a fenceline with a producer who brings in sale barn cattle. The risk of losing pregnancies due to BVD, vibrio, or lepto demands vaccination. Tetani and Clostridium chauvoei (blackleg) are in the environment everywhere and are lethal. They also demand vaccination.

As long as I don't see foot rot, I will not vaccinate for it. But I will continue to use Bovi Shield Gold FP5 VL5 for BVD, Lepto and Vibrio. And Covexin 8 for the Clostridials.

That's OK Ron just having a dig at you. I wholeheartedly agree with your strategy.

Ken

TCRanch":33l8opta said:
Rafter S":33l8opta said:
I recently saw a foot rot vaccine in either the Jeffers or Valley Vet catalogue but until then didn't realize it was even available. I'll get a couple cases each year but "foot rot" is subjective: couple months ago when I pulled a stick wedged in between the toes of one of my girls, if she had been vaccinated would it still have segued into foot rot or just hurt like he!!? Hmmm. The mineral I feed does have EDDI.
I completely agree it is subjective a lot of folks assume it is because it's easier to medicate her with a dart gun than walk a limping cow to the chute. In my cases I try not to assume and look for the sweelling above the hoof before any medication.

Silver":3hpi123z said:
Used Fusoguard (sp?) on the bulls for a few years. I didn't see any noticeable difference. Maybe we would have had more cases had we not used it. Anyway, quit using it and still get the odd case. This year has been particularly bad for the cows. I wonder if it was the extreme dry followed by a lengthy rainy period. Everyone I talk to locally is having the same issue, doesn't seem to be any difference between those that feed mineral and those that don't.
Whereabouts are you located? I'm in North Mississippi myself.

SimAngHerf":1ysfwxij said:
Silver":1ysfwxij said:
Whereabouts are you located? I'm in North Mississippi myself.

I'm in north east BC