foot bath for cattle - help (added pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
I have a pregnant heifer with back hoof problems -- possibly foot rot but it's on both back. Have given penicillin per the vets instruction over the phone, (I finally got to speak with a vet in this area)

now looking for some creative ideas for a foot bath. We have a pass thru area that all my girls gladly go thru with a cattle rub for flys - thought that would be a good place for a foot bath with a zinc sulfate solution in but need some help in finding or making a foot bath. I could only find one online and it was narrow & $44. The area is about 10' wide although I could use some gates to narrow the opening.

** anyone have ideas???

I'd cull before I set up a foot bath. Try LA200 it might work better -check the feet to make sure it is footrot if LA200 doesn't work. One sign to look for to identify footrot is swelling just above the coronary band .

the vet said not to use LA200 because she's pregnant -- said to use penicillin. I have red the tetrecyclines can cause bone weakness in unborn calves.

the area above the split in the hoof looks like it ruptured on both back feet. I have very good cattle stock, all are pregnant heifers - the foot bath would be a preventative measure.

coolpop":37ba8s5i said:
the vet said not to use LA200 because she's pregnant -- said to use penicillin. I have red the tetrecyclines can cause bone weakness in unborn calves.

All I've heard is that tetracyclines can cause...

"Enamellar hypoplasia is indeed lack of enamel being laid down on the permanent teeth, can happen with a single treatment IF you hit the wrong day, and will cause abnormal wear on the teeth, allowing an animal to have less tooth than she should..."

I've given LA200 to pregnant animals before without problems. Give what works; besides, if the cow becomes permanently crippled it would cost you more in the long run than one calf.

pic of one hoof taken after the rain - cleaned her hooves and let her out to pasture.

:?: we have a concrete stall where we used to milk a few cows -- would moving this heifer to the concrete stall do more harm than good ??? I would be able to keep her feet cleaner
below is the link to a hoof photo -- can't get it to copy into this post. sorry. don't know what I'm doing wrong..

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto ... puser=2628

looks like a canidate for the bailing twine treatment tie knots in it a run it through the toes back and forth a few times to clean it out. then soak it in some antibacterial

update -- pregnant heifer doing great -- the hooves are healing nicely -- haven't given her any more pen...but wondering if I should?? I've been bathing her feet everyday with warm antibacterial soap then a good rinse 3 or 4 times, letting the feet dry then putting hoof n' heal - zinc sulfate on them.
Thanks for the help -- always nice to see things from someone else's perspective :heart:

if the infection is gone there's no further need for pennicillin or any other antibiotic - but only you can make that call.

We sprinkle barn lime around the water tanks to prevent foot rot.

Put it around the water tanks so we know all cattle step in it.

Latest posts