Foot back

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Watched a Fleck influenced cow this morning that was fixin' to calf. She always has a 10+ lb heavier calf than any others in the herd. Saw one foot out, so sleeved her to see what was going on. Sure enough, second foot back. Did a lot of wrangling to get that stupid foot up! Luckily the calf wasn't out so far that pushing it back in to get the foot up wasn't impossible.

But I thought I'd share something we figured out! It's a lot easier to reposition the calf when the cow is standing, as opposed to laying down. Walked her about 1/2 mile to the pens and got her in the alley, and was able to get the calf repositioned. Thought I'd pass it along for those who haven't figured it out already.

TheBullLady":icmecjcr said:
Watched a Fleck influenced cow this morning that was fixin' to calf. She always has a 10+ lb heavier calf than any others in the herd. Saw one foot out, so sleeved her to see what was going on. Sure enough, second foot back. Did a lot of wrangling to get that stupid foot up! Luckily the calf wasn't out so far that pushing it back in to get the foot up wasn't impossible.

But I thought I'd share something we figured out! It's a lot easier to reposition the calf when the cow is standing, as opposed to laying down. Walked her about 1/2 mile to the pens and got her in the alley, and was able to get the calf repositioned. Thought I'd pass it along for those who haven't figured it out already.

Problem I had one time was that when trying to reposition the calf (posterior presentation),she was stimulated to push and lay down.It was a mess! :( :shock:

Latest posts