Food Plots

Help Support CattleToday:

The last one we fixed we used imperal whitetail clover and no plow planted them i think the last of august first of september both done well the deer did not touch the no plow hit the clover hard.

rattler

I plant clover, turnips, winter whea and oats. Deer don't seem to hit the Biologic stuff here until after a hard freeze when the sugar comes to the tops and thats usually well after bow season. Thats why I dont waste the money on that expensive commercial seed. They like the clover early and the wheat, oats and turnips last all winter. Besides I pick a few turnips for myself. I like them sliced and deep fried with salt / pepper. Goes good with venison roast.

I don't plant anything for deer cause they got enough as it is but if you want to save money on food plots and you have some open woods that you keep burned, try spreading about 2 tons of lime to the acre in the area you are going to hunt. This will become a honey hole for the next five years or so. You'll be surprised.

I plant rye grass and wheat. I will update my Deer Cane pits around August and continue adding until November.

rattler":2xw3aib3 said:
The last one we fixed we used imperal whitetail clover and no plow planted them i think the last of august first of september both done well the deer did not touch the no plow hit the clover hard.

rattler

"Imperial WhteTail Clover" is nothing but a blend of several different kinds of clovers that you pay a high price for.

Ray Scott is making a fortune just blending this clover and passing it off as a miracle deer plot. ;-)

MikeC":3jxrii80 said:
rattler":3jxrii80 said:

rattler

"Imperial WhteTail Clover" is nothing but a blend of several different kinds of clovers that you pay a high price for.

Ray Scott is making a fortune just blending this clover and passing it off as a miracle deer plot. ;-)
Mike,
Does ex-Pres. Bush still visit Ray's place in Pintlala to fish for bass?

oats,oats,oats! they work the best for us and they are also the cheapest

J. T.":3dc0jh1q said:
MikeC":3dc0jh1q said:
rattler":3dc0jh1q said:

rattler

Mike,
Does ex-Pres. Bush still visit Ray's place in Pintlala to fish for bass?

Think so. But I never get invited. :D

milesvb":3gxh5plh said:
I plant oats and winter peas mixed. When the deer get through I let the cows clean up the rest. This year the neighbor baled it up into squares for me, worked out pretty good.

I agree with the mixed peas. I planted them last year and the deer tore them up!!

Deer love corn, soybeans and winter wheat. We also have alfalfa, clovers, and oats. Lots of oak trees and lots of deer. I don't plant anything just for deer. Our biggest problem is 10-15 antlerless to every buck.

Jogeephus":18c0a2b3 said:
I don't plant anything for deer cause they got enough as it is but if you want to save money on food plots and you have some open woods that you keep burned, try spreading about 2 tons of lime to the acre in the area you are going to hunt. This will become a honey hole for the next five years or so. You'll be surprised.

Hey Jogeephus - why are deer attracted to the lime?

F-g

They're not attracted to the lime. It raises the pH in the more acidic pine tree soild and therefore allows more browse to grow. They like the tender growth and such.

I have been trying to figure out how to make a food plot big enough to accommodate a herd of elk. The trouble is 50 elk will wipe out a pretty good food plot over night and then not come back again for some time.

Latest posts