Food plots

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Planted 40 acres of food plots today. Wheat, elbow rye, winter peas, turnips, radishes, and crimson clover. Spring chiseled it a couple weeks ago and was supposed to get it planted yesterday but the feed stores potash truck was way late. Put it off til his morning and got half of the seed out and it started pouring. Only had about half of what was out disced in but had to stop when the tractor started spinning in 4x4. Rain stopped and we went back at it a couple hours later after it dried up. Got the majority of it disced in but I may have been too deep in some spots, real wet and couldn't get the disc set and leave it. Time will tell. This is my favorite time of year. Bout hunting season!

Brute 23":zvjviyzl said:
bball":zvjviyzl said:

This fella is roaming around the property here.

Thats a neat rack with those brow tines. Is he a shooter if you see him?

I'd say possible, depending on what else shows itself in the area. Anxious to catch a peak of him in person to get a better gauge.

bball":1ckhjj2u said:
Brute 23":1ckhjj2u said:
bball":1ckhjj2u said:

This fella is roaming around the property here.

Thats a neat rack with those brow tines. Is he a shooter if you see him?

I'd say possible, depending on what else shows itself in the area. Anxious to catch a peak of him in person to get a better gauge.
If he's a 10 pt which it looks like he is, he's in the 160's maybe more unless he's a runt of a deer. His main beams look like the only thing that might hold him back, it's hard to tell from a picture.

I think that one will fool you once out of velvet and on the ground. I only see 9 points myself, and other than those amazing brows, his tines are relatively short. Especially the right side.
I think he might squeak into the 150s, but not by a lot. But then I've been fooled before.

Its hard to judge on game cameras. Ive been fooled both ways more then once. Until I see them in person and give them the old heart beat test its hard to say. :)

Food plots are my favorite way to hunt. The amount of activity on them keeps you pretty entertained usually. I need to put more effort in to setting some up right.

M.Magis":jcv2yus0 said:
I think that one will fool you once out of velvet and on the ground. I only see 9 points myself, and other than those amazing brows, his tines are relatively short. Especially the right side.
I think he might squeak into the 150s, but not by a lot. But then I've been fooled before.
What kind of mass do you figure he'll have? I judge mass by the eye of the deer.

True Grit Farms":uub3ruc9 said:
M.Magis":uub3ruc9 said:
What kind of mass do you figure he'll have? I judge mass by the eye of the deer.
He looks pretty heavy, though the mid summer velvet and IR camera really make it hard for me to judge. I'm not sure what it is about the IR light that makes them appear heavier than they are, but its fooled me a bunch of times. But those brows alone would have me picking up my bow.

Latest posts