Food plots

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
Anyone do food plots for deer?

Mine isn't doing bad this year. I let the grass get about a foot or so high, sprayed it at the beginning of August, waited a couple weeks and broadcasted the seed into the dead stand and mowed it. We have got a good bit of rain since so that helps!

I did Austrian Winter Peas, Winter Rye, Oats, purple top turnips, and Daikon radish.

We used a mix called 7 Card Stud that has several of the same ingredients. The Daikon radish really seems to pull them in for us then come mid January the cows enjoy the leftovers

I don't have to plant anything. There is a fair amount of alfalfa in a couple of the fields. The deer really like alfalfa. And there are two big old apple trees in the yard. I make like a sportsman and a hunter for about 5 days hiking the hills looking for the big one. After that the hip has had enough and I just shoot a buck off the porch. Just now I went out to take a picture of the apples and there was 3 deer under one of the trees. Season opens three weeks from today.

I planted one field in turnips and rape seed first week of Aug. But it rained the next day, they germinated, then hot and dry for 3 weeks. Ended up discing and planting again last week. Went with turnips and crimson clover since they're fast growing. Its growing good now, but not going to get the growth I like before winter. I seeded it pretty heavy to make up for that, we'll see how it ends up.

Oats and rye grass is about all that will grow here. It's kind of a risky deal because you have to plant right about now for it to be up by deer season. A lot of the time it's still too hot. If the weather does cooperate and you get a good stand early you have to pray you dont get army worms. :D You can always bank on it really taking off in Jan or Feb right after season is over. :lol:

We have a lot of clover in our stands, and deer will walk by corn and alfalfa to get to it. So deer make our more secluded areas into food plots. White clover, chicory, meadow fescue - - make the best perennial plot here.

callmefence said:
Bin run oats here. Photo taken from my favorite stand.

Another pic from inside the stand

Can't beat that. I have a turkey blind that looks like that stand. It's an inconvenience having to set the coffee down to grab the shotgun. Lol.

Did about 5 acres worth this year, for the first time.

Used a mix pretty similar to most, brassicas, wheat/rye, peas, and clover. Planted end of August, all but one of them is doing really well, not sure what's going on with it.

I mowed them down as close as possible in July, hit them with roundup, and worked it up as well as I could with a disc. I broadcast the seed and then hit it with a tire drag.

My regrowth alfalfa and windfall apples food plots are working great. This morning when I went out to change the irrigation there was 23 does and 6 bucks in the fields. One of the bucks looked to have a fairly decent spread. Right now there are two does eating apples about 15 yards from where I am sitting. Season opens two weeks from tomorrow.

Plot is still doing good with the moisture we've been getting.

I will probably shoot this guy if he shows up while I'm hunting. I normally get a lot of bucks come in from other areas during the rut so who knows what will happen.

Oats and rye grass is about all that will grow here. It's kind of a risky deal because you have to plant right about now for it to be up by deer season. A lot of the time it's still too hot. If the weather does cooperate and you get a good stand early you have to pray you dont get army worms. :D You can always bank on it really taking off in Jan or Feb right after season is over. :lol:
That's what I like about elbon rye and clover. Elbon grows here and the crimson just waits for everything to get right and takes off.

Latest posts