Food plot ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
I have a client looking to plant some food plots. Got a few big ones 3-5 acres looking to do those in soybeans and/or milo. Got a small one on a hilltop that is very rocky maybe an acre there. Then some river low ground that is basically grown up field with shooting lanes bushogged thru. What do you plant in these type areas that works for you? Anything that does particularly well in wet or rocky terrain? Thanks

I would go to the feed store and get a seasonally appropriate food plot mix. my local store has Pennington brands and they are pretty similar to what we make up for cover crop plots....

if you are planting in the spring be sure you are getting a summer mix....if you plant in the fall get a cool season mix...the nice thing about the mixes is they are good for the soil and something in the mix is likely to take hold and grow in most conditions...

as opposed to planting a single species in a wet situation and it just won't grow there....something in the mix will most likely take hold.

Depends on the competition. Many folks plant a blended bag from the local farm store and hope for green (just like the neighbor) but deer have lots and lots of options. You can pull them over a mile with the good stuff. A store mix is OK as a base but you will want to add kickers.
White clover and meadow fescue grow in damp areas and deer love them. Because of its low spreading structure WC can survive deer mob grazing. Overgrazed MF can winter kill here.
Chicory and soybeans grow in drier areas and deer love them also. Most folks don't plant a big enough plot of SB, because these upright plants can be grazed into the dirt before the season is over. I had a 4 acre SB patch last year and it was not able to set many pods.
I like to plant lanes and edges with a WC, MF, chicory perennial mix and then put annuals out in the center of a bigger plot. I add a strip of SS if I need cover to get to the stand unseen.

The plan is to disc most of it but I have a no-till drill to seed with in all the areas disced or not. We are also going to lime and fertilize to soil test as well as fertilize a few strategic patches of honeysuckle.

I was glad to see you suggest milo Fence. I have had great luck with it over the years and had already recommended it to him. Not many here plant it, not fancy enough I guess.

Stocker Steve said:
Depends on the competition. Many folks plant a blended bag from the local farm store and hope for green (just like the neighbor) but deer have lots and lots of options. You can pull them over a mile with the good stuff. A store mix is OK as a base but you will want to add kickers.
White clover and meadow fescue grow in damp areas and deer love them. Because of its low spreading structure WC can survive deer mob grazing. Overgrazed MF can winter kill here.
Chicory and soybeans grow in drier areas and deer love them also. Most folks don't plant a big enough plot of SB, because these upright plants can be grazed into the dirt before the season is over. I had a 4 acre SB patch last year and it was not able to set many pods.
I like to plant lanes and edges with a WC, MF, chicory perennial mix and then put annuals out in the center of a bigger plot. I add a strip of SS if I need cover to get to the stand unseen.

Nice informative post stocker steve...
I blend a lot of covers and your approach is good.
But I have found that most who ask are more likely to follow fences advice and plant milo, rather than take the time to make a mix or do as much as you do.

So to me the store brands is an easy way to get them to try a mix.

5S Cattle said:
Iron and clay peas, soy beans, sunn hemp, buckwheat, and hay grazer in my spring mix
when do you plant I am wanting to do some soybeans, was told need to plant around middle of May in Okla. will I be better to plant in drier land or land that holds moister better?

BRYANT said:
5S Cattle said:
Iron and clay peas, soy beans, sunn hemp, buckwheat, and hay grazer in my spring mix
when do you plant I am wanting to do some soybeans, was told need to plant around middle of May in Okla. will I be better to plant in drier land or land that holds moister better?

I planted a few weeks back. Ground temps are warm enough.

callmefence said:
Milo. Whole uncleaned Milo. Cheap, grows well and deer like the plant, dove quail and turkey like the grain.

When would you plant some milo to be ready for dove season? Do they keep that at the feed store in Lampasas?

Kingfisher said:
callmefence said:
Milo. Whole uncleaned Milo. Cheap, grows well and deer like the plant, dove quail and turkey like the grain.

When would you plant some milo to be ready for dove season? Do they keep that at the feed store in Lampasas?

I plant late May to cut last week in August for dove.

Kingfisher said:
callmefence said:

It's not to late to plant. Yes just get whole Milo.....it's sold mainly for chicken feed .

Latest posts