Fly spray

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed millions of times and I just missed this maybe.

Anyway, I've been mixing Permethrin and appropriate water amount in my hand held sprayer and it seems to be working pretty good, just pump and spray. When I feed the calves I just walk among them and spray, they're used to it now and don't care too much. I've been doing it about once a week. I guess if I wasn't feeding them once a week it wouldn't make sense to do it this way.

Mix it with diesel and it will have an affect for more then just a short time like it will with water

dun":7mdxewhm said:
Mix it with diesel and it will have an affect for more then just a short time like it will with water

Do I leave out the water and replace with pure diesel or mix water, diesel and Permethrin?

tncattle":10figpmt said:
dun":10figpmt said:

Do I leave out the water and replace with pure diesel or mix water, diesel and Permethrin?
Diesel and premithrin. We use permectin II, 8 oz to 5 gals of diesel. It's actaully the mix for the fly mops but it works just as well fro spraying. The packaging should have directions for mixing it with diesel for a sprayer

dun":3a1ntzr9 said:
tncattle":3a1ntzr9 said:
dun":3a1ntzr9 said:

Diesel and premithrin. We use permectin II, 8 oz to 5 gals of diesel. It's actaully the mix for the fly mops but it works just as well fro spraying. The packaging should have directions for mixing it with diesel for a sprayer

Right now I've got about 1 gallon left in my sprayer of water & Permethrin mixture. Can I just add some diesel to that? Also, the sprayer is one of those kinds you pump up to increase air pressure so it will spray. Is it safe to put diesel fuel under that pressure? I know diesel isn't as unstable as gas (I think) but just making sure.

tncattle":35mplwyi said:
Right now I've got about 1 gallon left in my sprayer of water & Permethrin mixture. Can I just add some diesel to that? Also, the sprayer is one of those kinds you pump up to increase air pressure so it will spray. Is it safe to put diesel fuel under that pressure? I know diesel isn't as unstable as gas (I think) but just making sure.
Just use up what you have mixed and the next time use diesel instead of water. I doubt that the diesel and water will mix. I have a sprayer that has diesel in it and has had for 2 weeks, no problems with it. The diesel will in time eat the seals though

Tn

Just a word of caution. Several years ago I had some fly spray mixed with diesel for the rubs and sprayed it on the cattle. The mix kind of "scalded" them in places and some hair fell out . It took a few months for some of them to grow the hair back. I don't remember the % diesel, but it was too much for the amount I sprayed on the animals. I usually apply quite a bit to each animal when spraying. If you spray with diesel, you might want to do it sparingly.

Since that fiasco, I never spray with diesel. This year, I started pouring with Cylence and it lasts about 6 weeks. It can be applied using a syringe w/o needle by just squirting it on them. In my area, it seems like many of the flies are resistant to permithren, but the new generations of pyrethroids work very well.

Texas PaPaw":2gxwd5kb said:
Tn

Just a word of caution. Several years ago I had some fly spray mixed with diesel for the rubs and sprayed it on the cattle. The mix kind of "scalded" them in places and some hair fell out . It took a few months for some of them to grow the hair back. I don't remember the % diesel, but it was too much for the amount I sprayed on the animals. I usually apply quite a bit to each animal when spraying. If you spray with diesel, you might want to do it sparingly.

Since that fiasco, I never spray with diesel. This year, I started pouring with Cylence and it lasts about 6 weeks. It can be applied using a syringe w/o needle by just squirting it on them. In my area, it seems like many of the flies are resistant to permithren, but the new generations of pyrethroids work very well.
Yup, diesel mix burns the skin on my Pieds.

Our cows must just be toughened to the use of it, even new born calves. But I also don;t hose it on them till they're wet, just a mist is all that's needed. Their backs will be shiney from going through the mop but never have had hair loss from it.

Well I didn't try it cause they wouldn't all come up anyway. It was kind of funny when I went this morning to feed them and get them up to spray. They were still in the shady part of the pasture about .3 of a mile from the corral. They all started walking towards the corral and literally at the halfway mark 7 cut off to go toward the water trough and the other 7 kept coming straight into the corral. When the 7 got through drinking (about 60 yds. from corral) they kept looking and finally walked back to their shade as if to say "it just ain't worth it in this heat". It was kind of funny. The 7 in the corral finished up and went straight to the water trough and then straight to the shade. This was at 7:45 am and it was already about 92 degrees. I should have went at about 6 am or even sunrise or maybe about 8:30 pm tonight. They all seem in good condition but just trying to stay cool. I'll try again until I get them all up.

Mineral Oil works also if you don't want to use diesel, heck with fuel prices it may be cheaper.

Mineral oil is about $8.95 a gal. up here. As for fly spray, I use permethrin, with diesel, in a spray bottle, and as Dun said, just mist them.

Roadapple":3e1cvenf said:
Mineral oil is about $8.95 a gal. up here. As for fly spray, I use permethrin, with diesel, in a spray bottle, and as Dun said, just mist them.
tractor supply gets 15 bucks a gallon, taht;s why I didn;t mention it. I suppose if you use it sparingly it could be afordable, but not for me

I'll skip the mineral oil and try the diesel, I got them up last night at sunset and sprayed them. Since there is only 14 of them and I still had over a gal of spray mix left I'm going to finish that out like Dun said and then go with the diesel mix. I sprayed them pretty good but still have quite a bit left. It goes pretty far unless you just drown them in it.

Dun, how often do you spray them with the diesel mix?

tncattle":hvqfe00n said:
I'll skip the mineral oil and try the diesel, I got them up last night at sunset and sprayed them. Since there is only 14 of them and I still had over a gal of spray mix left I'm going to finish that out like Dun said and then go with the diesel mix. I sprayed them pretty good but still have quite a bit left. It goes pretty far unless you just drown them in it.

Dun, how often do you spray them with the diesel mix?
Only occasioanlly if I notice the flys are too bad. The rest of the time they go through the fly mops that are filled with permethrin and diesel. We did have a sruprose calf born a couple of weeks ago. With the fly situation and since I couldn;t get near her and didn;t want to run them all the way up to put them in the catch pen (these are boarders and the cow doesn;t know me from squat) I hosed her lower sides and belly pretty heavily for 3 days in a row.

Latest posts