fly ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

susiq

Reaction score
I have read many comments concening the effectiveness of the ear tag but no one mentioned if this was accomplished with one or two ear tags per cow. Appreciate your input because we are planning on implementing this form of fly control as well as the rabon and rubs.

we used them one time a while back . i know they say use two but seemed real expensive so we use one and did not see very much fly control. so could have been my fault. (fwiw)

There are several brands out that only require 1 tag per animal for 4-5 months protection, the high visibility orange ones usually require 2 to get any real performance. The quantity you need to use and how long they last should be on the packaging.

2 or 3 years ago I tried the kind that required only 1 tag, cannot remember the brand, but I was not impressed. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. I've stayed with sprays and rubs.
Last year where I work they used the kind that requires 2 tags. They used them on a select group as a test. Apparently they were not happy with the results, so they said. I don't know what brand, but they were yellow tags.

Katherine

i don't use fly tags they have been a waste of time and money for me. i use a cattle rub and mist them when needed. i use ravap for both. what i have noticed about the tags is that they are worn out by the time the flys get heavy in mid summer.
bif

Latest posts