Fly Control

Help Support CattleToday:

mbui

Reaction score
As a first time owner of cattle (2 steers) I hoping to get some advice on fly control they havn't been bad at all until yesterday it seems like all the sudden they are covered in them I have had them 4 weeks and the last few days they finnally figuered out that I was feeding them so they will let me get about 15 feet from them but not close enough to apply a pour on I was thinking I could put a rub in front the water, or should I keep working with them until they allow me closer, try to spray for a distance feed supplement what would you do?

I am guessing you don't have a corral, squeeze chute, head gate, or any way to confine them?

No I have no way of confining currently but I am real good with my hands so I could build about anything

Check that with a couple more gates I could move them into a 1/4 acre area behind my barn and from there I could get them in my covered area I keep my tractor so yeh I could confine them if I had too

A rub with the dangling things ("flypps?) and doused a diesel/Permectrin mix poured from a fuel can works well for me.
A rub in front of water is something they will go through several times a day compared to spraying only once a week or so. I also know of someone who had severe eye problems with his cows after spraying too close to their eyes.

When a cow passes under a rub they make sure they are not getting it in their eyes.

jmho.

Jim

I give them a pour-on and Bayer Fly-tags in May, then again around the first of August. Has worked great for the past two years, no flies at all.

You can apply a pour-on from a distance by using a syringe w/o needle as a squirt gun. Just load the appropriate amount of pour-on into the syringe and squirt it on their back.

i think you would do well to start feeding and watering inside a (small) corral. i'm thinking that you're feeding out these steers for personal consumption. if so, and this is to be a continuing project then getting them use to going in a corral will greatly simplify your fly control efforts (and help address other issues that come up). i've been using mineral with IGR this year and i spray also. i think there's a noticable difference in the fly population. the fly tags that isomade mentioned would be worthwhile, but probably require a headgate which i'm guessing you do not have access to. where abouts in the country you from?

Tsmax47 I live in north Georgia and yes they are for personal consumption I have 2 now If things go well I might go to as many as 4 but no more than that. I have been thinking about building a corral and putting a rub over the entry with a gate. how big would you suggest I build it?

if it's just a feed corral a 20X20 would work for now (or a 20 foot circular) but as you get a little further down the road there's other things you'll need that you can add on if you start out with corral panels from the local feed store. if you decide that cattle aren't for you (but i'm guessing you won't), you can always sell the panel setup. get a small feed bunk and 100 gallon water tub, with a rub big enough to span the entry gate and you'll be in business. use the 1 gal sprayer to keep the rub charged.

This is just the sort of information I was looking for this evening, but I'd like to ask a couple more questions, just to tweak what we were thinking of doing. We have real winters here, so fly control late fall through mid-spring isn't an issue.

Our cattle are on pasture now, so they don't need to come in for feed. We can keep the feed/water areas separate, but close. They DO need to come in from pasture for water and salt. We currently have 8 head; none that have or are new babies (some due later, early fall). To deal with water and salt access only, would a 16 X 16 corral, or 16 X 14, or 16 X 24 work (we have panels to do any of those combinations), with two 4-ft. in/out access spaces, so they can get in/out with blocking . . . using the diesel and chemical rags over the gates ?? That seems to me to be effective, without the expense of re-filling dust bags.

Second question, what do you use for the rag material -- just anything, or a medium weight canvass, or ???

And finally, what's the optimum height for dangling rags -- a foot below shoulder level? or, more? less?

Appreciate your thoughts/ideas.

You have done everything bass acwards. You don't start with cattle then get knowledge. You should have built your working facilities first. By now you are probably aware of this.
You have just gotten your cattle to where they will get close. Now you put them in a corral of sorts and chase them around trying to get fly control on them. You think they are going to come running up to the corral the next time you need them to. I doubt it. You need to keep them gentle/docile. Put up a rub where they have to walk under. The water trough works well.
Build proper working facilities. Work them in a confined chute gently.
You are better off letting the flys irritate them than you doing it.

You are Right Novatech Now I did do quite a bit of research on feed health and I do have the untimate finishing place set up but I didn't do enough research on pest control before hand my water trough is directly next to the fence and I have set the panels 12' apart off the fence and 20' long I havn't put the rub accross the opening yet I wanted to get them used to the panels first before I put another barrier in front of them they seem to be going in and out without any problems.

mbui":3pph3ump said:
You are Right Novatech Now I did do quite a bit of research on feed health and I do have the untimate finishing place set up but I didn't do enough research on pest control before hand my water trough is directly next to the fence and I have set the panels 12' apart off the fence and 20' long I havn't put the rub accross the opening yet I wanted to get them used to the panels first before I put another barrier in front of them they seem to be going in and out without any problems.
Good job. :clap:

Latest posts