fly control

Help Support CattleToday:

blkbaldie

Reaction score
I know it is a little early to talk about fly control. We've got about 2 ft. of snow outside. I've got one pasture with real bad fly pressure. I just started to rent it last year. I had a real bad pink eye blow out. I pour my cow's and calves in July plus put some CTC in the mineral to combat the pinkeye. It has always worked well here at my home place. Turns out the neighbor next to the pasture I rent never does anything. I've saw an ad somewhere that sells an insecticide that is applied in a creep feeder. I guess you hang it inside the feeder. The calves walk under it when they come in to eat. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?? Let me know a web site. Thanks!!

My vet said there is a vaccination for pink eye. He said the farrmers who have used it have been pleased with its performance ~ no pinkeye. I realize it doesn;t cure the fly problem, but it might take care of your pinkeye issues. Ask your vet. Pinkeye is a hassle to say the least.

Edit ~ is an implant, not a vaccination.

There are a number of hanging bag kinds of deals for fly control. Some use powder some use liquids. A one dimensional treatment of flys is pretty useless. We use back wipes with diesel and Premithrin II, pastue rotation and IGR in the minerals. Works well for us.

There is a vaccine for pinkeye and you'd be wise to use it. You don't have to have flies to have pinkeye. I've had two cases this winter, even with vaccines :mad: It's just 'bout impossible to control flies or pinkeye when noone else seems to care or keep good fences.

blkbaldie":1a6e1bde said:
I know it is a little early to talk about fly control. We've got about 2 ft. of snow outside. I've got one pasture with real bad fly pressure. I just started to rent it last year. I had a real bad pink eye blow out. I pour my cow's and calves in July plus put some CTC in the mineral to combat the pinkeye. It has always worked well here at my home place. Turns out the neighbor next to the pasture I rent never does anything. I've saw an ad somewhere that sells an insecticide that is applied in a creep feeder. I guess you hang it inside the feeder. The calves walk under it when they come in to eat. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?? Let me know a web site. Thanks!!

Is your neighbor (all neighbors for that fact) the kind you can visit with and recommend that the whole area get into a good fly control program?? Controlling flies is a lot like controlling gophers. Just wasting your money unless the neighbor works with you. Good luck. (BTW it's never too early to start fly control especially with the IGR blocks and minerals.)

i use the mineral blocks with the rabon in them.now they are very costly but worth it in my book.the cows can an will eat them like candy.ive put out as much as 100lbs a week.an they finally leveled off on eating it.last year it was costing me $25 a sack.

The neighbor is the old school type. Nice guy but you "don't" tell him what to do. Anyone have an address or ph number of a place that sells those hanging fly control machines. Thank you!

I just found a product online. It is called a fly bullet. Basicly it is a bag with about a pint of dry fly control in it. You hang it in each open of the creep feeder where they walk thru. Not that expensive.

blkbaldie":2l22xsyb said:
The neighbor is the old school type. Nice guy but you "don't" tell him what to do. Anyone have an address or ph number of a place that sells those hanging fly control machines. Thank you!

Didn't say tell him anything. Just visit and recommend...invite the neighbors over for coffee and discuss flies...(what a topic). :lol: :lol:

Latest posts