fly control w/diesel and oil

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand":2n1i4m9w said:
.... Light amounts though as motor oil is harmful to animals.
=========
farmhand,

With due respect, Is that an opinion or do you have any references?

If it is an opinion...are you saying ...light amounts on the hair/skin or light amounts in the breathing enviroment? Or either?

I think this is important ..from posts many are using it in rub mix.

I know one thing...if you want to keep wasps...bees...from a closed building...just sit a 5 gal. open bucket with 1/2 gal used cylinder oil with 1/2 gal. diesel fuel in the room..they are gone...and wont come back in.

I think the used motor oil would still be harmful in the long run. It's used to be the lead that was supposed to be the problem. I would htink that all of the other residues that find their way into the oil woould still be harmful. Persoanl opinion.

The motor oil was just sprayed on the barn walls for dust control. Light amount so that none of the animals were rolling around or laying in it. There shouldn't be any running oil down the walls or pools of it on the floor. Dad mainly did this in the hog barns. They always seemed dustier than where the cattle were. Can't recall where I saw the dangers of motor oil or what Dad told me. Just remember it made enough of an impact on me that I make sure they don't get in it. Think of things like motor oil plugging up the skin and glands and definitely don't want it in their respitory tract. Motor oil is heavier and harder to get rid of than diesal fuel. Also diesel fuel is used in the cattle backrubs so they are not getting large amounts like laying in motor oil.

Latest posts