fly control w/diesel and oil

Help Support CattleToday:

mtnmanpd

Reaction score
people have been telling me to put diesel and burned motor oil on cow rubs to keep the flies off my cows.the price of the insecticeds makes this alot easier.also they have told me to take a mineral salt block and soak it in fuel oil.they say it soaks in there skin and wards off flies.any health concerns i should be worried about?by the way my cows are lactating and springers.thanks

I can remeber years ago when we fed steers (we didn't have cows at that time) My father had made a rub out of a big heavy log chain with burlap bags wrapped around and tied with baler twine , he used to soak it with drain oil, I don't remember any problems with it but we never had bred animals. I don't do that anymore and I'm not sure I would want to.

I've certainly seen cattle rubs doctored with diesel, or diesel and fly repellent mix, but I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone feeding the stuff to cattle via salt or mineral blocks. Might be fine, but I think I'd have to run that one by a vet.

Bernard":2jlyawi0 said:
I've certainly seen cattle rubs doctored with diesel, or diesel and fly repellent mix, but I don't believe I've ever heard of anyone feeding the stuff to cattle via salt or mineral blocks. Might be fine, but I think I'd have to run that one by a vet.
========
I can't believe anyone would feed it to them...can't believe they would eat it? Maby a small amount with mollases...but, wouldn't do it!!!!!!!!!!

Bernard":1bv6oo9q said:
==========

Rubs made with,used cotton pull-overs..with arms..legs hanging down...old flannel sheets...split...sections hanging down...,et al, tied with grass string...with used cylinder oil...fly mix...diesel...or burlap bags...if u can find them...seems to work have used them for years. They gotta go under em' to get to the water and occasional treats. ;-)
All throw aways at home go into a box...I decide what... DOESN'T... go to the ranch...not much and in addition I am known to stop at yard sales quite often!!!! :shock: :roll:

Wouldn't feed it to em"!!!! (Wonder what a vet would say about that one?...any reaction DOCS'?)

mtnmanpd":1df8d8cv said:
people have been telling me to put diesel and burned motor oil on cow rubs to keep the flies off my cows.the price of the insecticeds makes this alot easier.also they have told me to take a mineral salt block and soak it in fuel oil.they say it soaks in there skin and wards off flies.any health concerns i should be worried about?by the way my cows are lactating and springers.thanks
=============
mtn,

:eek: :shock: Check in to the soaked block before you do it.!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

The diesel mixed with insecticides is actually recommended by many of the insecticide manufacturers, however, injesting diesel on a regular basis couldn't be good for any animial's digestive track - IMO.

Farminlund":n7anqv93 said:
...... "however, injesting diesel on a regular basis couldn't be good for any animial's digestive track - IMO.
"
===========

Surely that is...at best...... folklore!!!!!!!!!....can't believe they would eat it!!!!!!!!

they said to use fuel oil like you put in oil lanters not used oil in the salt blocks.the guy swears by it and he said it made there coats shiny.he has registerd black angus that he sells for a pretty penny.so surley he wouldnt indanger their health.

I have never purposly fed fuel to animals but we did have a small dog get into the gasoline once. He lapped it up and ran around all crazy like for a few minutes and then just fell over. Was he dead? Nope just ran outa gas...........sorry....

For what it's worth, when you buy oil today, it clearly states that used oil should not get on your hands, etc. Says has caused cancer in lab animals. I'm not real quick to put burned oil on my cattle.There are quite a few alternatives for fly control out there.As for soaking blocks in it, I have never heard of it.And would never try it.Thats gotta be some of the worst advice I've ever heard...

I follow the insecticide mfr's recommendation to use diesel fuel on cattle backrubs - think it can only be new, used is hard to come by :lol: .

Been using diesel fuel mixed with insecticides for backrub for years. It is recommended with most insecticides.
We have even used it to spray on our show cattle. Straight insec tends to dry out the hair & skin, diesel is OIL so it helps shine the hair. Don't use it anymore - can't stand our cattle smelling like that. Yuk!

If you have deep pockets you can use mineral oil in place of diesel. But at todays fuel prices, mineral oil may actually be cheaper.

dun

dun":2qeuhb8e said:
If you have deep pockets you can use mineral oil in place of diesel. But at todays fuel prices, mineral oil may actually be cheaper.

dun
============
dun,

Mineral oil is void of the only reason to include small amount of used oil/diesel....and that is ...odor, smell. It wouldn't contribute to the goal.

For some reason, in the past few springs, we get swarms of large ...wood bees...size of bumble bees..they bore holes in the timbers of our barns :mad: ..we find spraying a few spots of diesel/used oil around in the barns drastically reduces these 8) . It must be the pungant smell since they don't come in contact with the none of the mixture.

preston39":h99bfhla said:
Mineral oil is void of the only reason to include small amount of used oil/diesel....and that is ...odor, smell. It wouldn't contribute to the goal.

Yhe oil is a carrier for the insecticide, the medium used has no affect on the effectivness. You could use water bu it evaporates and drys out to fast, that's why they recommend diesel fuel.

dun

preston39":23jfpxby said:
For some reason, in the past few springs, we get swarms of large ...wood bees...size of bumble bees..they bore holes in the timbers of our barns :mad: ..we find spraying a few spots of diesel/used oil around in the barns drastically reduces these 8) . It must be the pungant smell since they don't come in contact with the none of the mixture.

I have issues with carpenter bees as well. They can really destroy buildings in that the tunnels are long & have "burrows" where the young are raised (heard of a 6 yr old barn that collapsed under an unusually heavy snow load that was the direct result of uncontrolled carpenter bees). They breed in the early spring, thus the reason you see so many. Once done with that process, you will see them much less with the focus on raising young (in the burrows off the main tunnel). I have plugged their holes (good use for spent 7-08 brass), sprayed them with insecticide, & have learned how to bat them down with a tennis racket during the early spring (each spring since I declared war 3 springs ago there are less & less showing up in the early spring). I hope you are right that this spray you are using is making them go away, but my bet is that the breeding season ends & thus the frequency of your sightings goes down & you attribute it to the spray.

If each spring, there is a trend to seeing less & less bees, then you are winning the war. An uncontrolled population can cause severe property damage & even result in injury if a beam or truss were to give way at a particular time. I call them flying woodchucks or flying groundhogs (depending on what part of the country you're from). I've also heard them referred to as flying beavers. Whatever you call then - they spell trouble if left unchecked.

Use diesel fuel with Prolate on back rubs all the time. Prolate calls for diesel fuel. Dad use to spray the barn walls down with used motor oil to keep down the dust. Light amounts though as motor oil is harmful to animals.

Latest posts