fly control recipe?

Help Support CattleToday:

I've used permethrin and diesel for back rubs. Permethrin and water would work good as a spray I would think.

I use a 5% permethrin spray. Fly-Ban or Ultraboss are some good ready made brands or you can buy a concentrate and mix it yourself. Some of the cheaper brands already mixed are so diluted they have little effect on the flies.

Spray permethrin mixed with water as stated above. We use poor on, but I don't think none of that beats the fly tags. Notice a big difference with the cattle with the tags.

Jogeephus":d11dl8pk said:
I've used permethrin and diesel for back rubs. Permethrin and water would work good as a spray I would think.
I've been experimenting with that some and it seems to be working pretty good.

I get mine in the pen munching on cubes and sprinkle them with plain 5% Sevin dust. Works great until the next rain washes it off.

I spent a long time last year looking for a 15% perm. Finally found some at one farm store, and mixed 1oz to a gallon. I tell you that could knock the socks off a horse fly a mile away. :lol:

My wife and myself vaccinated cows Saturday. We also put in fly tags. We use patriot fly tags. Within an hour a lot less flies. Even put one on the big hereford bull, which had lots of flies. Checked him Monday and hardly any. Pretty good coverage for 3-4 months. There is a strong odor from the patriot tags. We remove the tags at fall vaccination. Figures out too about $2 per animal.

In desperation, after trying other tags and all sorts of sprays and rubs, tried the XP 820 tags last summer, and they are incredible (I am in NE Texas). The flies just disappeared. Using them this summer too but will switch next year, the manufacturer recommends that. These tags absolutely changed my life and now the cows are just totally relaxed!
Also, they are dry and have NO odor. I put two tags on each cow, on the back of the ear, and one on the larger calves. Also, if you fail to tag one, the tags on the others take care of her, I missed a couple last year and their flies disappeared too. Amazing tags. Wish I had tried them sooner, I think they have been around a few years.

Jogeephus":10xcbnvp said:

Use 1oz 10% permethrin with gal of diesel. Spray on about every four days. Works good. Also, use the wind and rain minerals which worked good last year. Been using it for about a month but It ain't kicked in yet.