Flooded Trinity River Bottom cattle drive up hwy 90 and 146

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Never should have had to take place. You gonna run cattle in the bottoms you need to have a plan to move those cattle on a moments notice. I think these folks were newby's to running river bottom cattle. Glad it turned out as well as it did. Folks in the cattle biz can I'll afford another black eye due to bad animal husbandry decisions.

Wow that was an eye opener for me I have never saw anything like that before. I am glad it wasn't a total loss.

houstoncutter":2ci9irza said:
Never should have had to take place. You gonna run cattle in the bottoms you need to have a plan to move those cattle on a moments notice. I think these folks were newby's to running river bottom cattle. Glad it turned out as well as it did. Folks in the cattle biz can I'll afford another black eye due to bad animal husbandry decisions.

And act of God and it's the cattlemen's fault?? Guess it's the farmer's fault they lost the whole dam wheat crop too. Yeah we get that kind of rain every year everywhere. :shock: :shock:

Supa Dexta":2fsxp8st said:
Started with 5 or 600 and only 200 made it thru town?

Not trying to start a fight, but is that an accurate figure on survival rate? Up to 2/3 loss?

TexasBred":jnuw45jo said:
houstoncutter":jnuw45jo said:

And act of God and it's the cattlemen's fault?? Guess it's the farmer's fault they lost the whole dam wheat crop too. Yeah we get that kind of rain every year everywhere. :shock: :shock:

TB, the trinity floods this far south a few times of the year if not more . They knew far a couple of weeks this water was coming. It has been worse hopefully it want get any badder. If your gonna run cows especially that many in the bottoms you better have pens to catch em and a place to take em . If you grave through the bottom between Dayton and Liberty you will see low bottom lands on each side of Highway 90. Cattle are run on both sides of the highway, but the similarity stops there. One side has large catch pens and a all weather road to em . You wanna venture a guess as to who had a problem.

You gonna run cattle you better have a plan, you gonna have bottom cattle better have a hellava plan. Last time I looked the Trinty was flooding from here to Dallas also many other major rivers. Heard about anything similar??? The folks running this operation are new to bottom cattle so I've been told.

I think Caustic and his folks ran cattle in some of these bottoms years ago. Maybe he can share a little knowledge with us. I ran many of mine in the bottoms close to the Gulf, which believe or not is even tougher cause you have to worry about Hurricanes which don't give you as much notice. Not physically able to handle the pressure anymore is one of the major reasons I'm outa of the biz now.

Hurrican Ike just about ran the White Ranch at Stowell out of business, and they been there for many many decades, but that's a completely different deal down in the saltgrass.

Even on my short watershed river, I don't pay much attention to MY rainfall---I watch what fell up near the headwaters in Walker County and between me and there--I have about 30 hours to move em out of the bottom, but once the channel itself is full on my East property line, only 2 hours. It don't take long to spread 3-4' over my east side once the channel bank is breached.

Yep GB you gotta a plan, and you use it. Sometimes you move em out of the bottom and it turns out you didn't have to. Of course it's always easier to move em in the mud than it is to swim em!

The brazos banks are higher than the flood plains. Generally when water comes onto the flood plains, heading toward the river is heading for high ground for the cows. That's the wrong way for them to go. We never know when they are going to start dumping out of the lake.

houstoncutter":1ltqz2u8 said:
TexasBred":1ltqz2u8 said:
houstoncutter":1ltqz2u8 said:

TB, the trinity floods this far south a few times of the year if not more . They knew far a couple of weeks this water was coming. It has been worse hopefully it want get any badder. If your gonna run cows especially that many in the bottoms you better have pens to catch em and a place to take em . If you grave through the bottom between Dayton and Liberty you will see low bottom lands on each side of Highway 90. Cattle are run on both sides of the highway, but the similarity stops there. One side has large catch pens and a all weather road to em . You wanna venture a guess as to who had a problem.

You gonna run cattle you better have a plan, you gonna have bottom cattle better have a hellava plan. Last time I looked the Trinty was flooding from here to Dallas also many other major rivers. Heard about anything similar??? The folks running this operation are new to bottom cattle so I've been told.

I think Caustic and his folks ran cattle in some of these bottoms years ago. Maybe he can share a little knowledge with us. I ran many of mine in the bottoms close to the Gulf, which believe or not is even tougher cause you have to worry about Hurricanes which don't give you as much notice. Not physically able to handle the pressure anymore is one of the major reasons I'm outa of the biz now.

We did and you watched the storm systems like a hawk and moved cattle to high ground.
Now high ground might only be a foot or two out of water.
It wasn't like you didn't know it was coming. There were some of those crazies that would get missed .
That is not for an old man that is different cattle operations than today.
Most of those cows only saw people once or twice a year. We didn't feed hay like today didn't have a
clue to if a cow had a calf every year. I ran some in the Armand Bayou country 40 years ago you better have
more than one good horse to go get them. That was bad country to flood and hurricane impacted.

backhoeboogie":1zz5qcye said:
The brazos banks are higher than the flood plains. Generally when water comes onto the flood plains, heading toward the river is heading for high ground for the cows. That's the wrong way for them to go. We never know when they are going to start dumping out of the lake.

That sounds like a bad deal there.

I've never seen a river that did NOT form it's own natural levee--even the Mississippi does it--or did, till man decided to build one much higher.

Latest posts