Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

c farmer

Reaction score
How so you all treat your cattle for flies? I only ever used a pour-on but that is hard to do when they are out on pasture. I was wanting to use a rope between to post for protection, but dont know if they will use it.

I have no place in my pasture to put in a spot where they will have to go under.

If you use mineral feeders or creep feeders, you might want to try these fly bullets:

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/pop ... 2&id=16286

I use a back rub at the entrance to the corral and keep the bullets up around the mineral feeder, and they seem to work pretty well. Some of the cows and the bull a lot of times will stand under the back rub and let it lay on their back. I think they just do it to scratch their back, but it works just the same. If pinkeye is a concern for you, you might want to try some fly ear tags. They at least help keep the flys from being around their face quite so bad.

I will put bullets on the mineral feeder and that will get their face but how will it get up on their backs.

Worming twice a year. Then they get run through the medina gate and/or chute and sprayed about every two months in the summer. There are cattle on all sides and most of those folks have cattle on all sides of them. If the whole county treated for flies on the same day, it would probably help. Flies are really bad here. Rubs, bullets, and fly tags help but they don't get it done here. The really hard freeze we had a while back did a really good job for us.

I have used a pour on in the summer months. If your cattle will come to cubes, alfalfa hay, or anything else, just feed them some of that. While they are eating, have your pour on in a hand held sprayer. Pump it up and spray it on them while they eat. They will probably move away when sprayed, but you can normally get the needed effect. Proper dosage can be an issue, but just spray some on. Works like a charm.

Pour on wormer helps....as well as a mineral with IGR to hold down overall fly population. Spraying as needed also.

Latest posts