Flies

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp

Reaction score
Hey all!

Got a question - the flies are horrendous since it's gotten so hot. We have put out fly predators, but they won't do anything about adult's. I have fly trap's and fly bait distributed in strategic positions around the place, but cannot use insecticides as they will kill the predators. Until the traps/bait start to make a dent, I'm considering a fly mask for Legs (our horse). What opinions/experiences have all of you had with these? I have had a couple of people tell me not to leave them on for 'any length of time' (not sure what that is defined as), as they can 'cause a horse to go blind'. Is this true? I have learned the cheat grass + fly mask lesson, and that is not a problem in this scenario. Help!!

we use skin so soft mixed with a little vinger and it seems to work pretty good

easter":1k26add9 said:
we use skin so soft mixed with a little vinger and it seems to work pretty good

How do you use it? Just mix it up and rub it on the horse's body? Or do you just use it on their face? I have not heard of this before, so I'm looking for additional information. Thanks!

We have used fly masks for years and never had a problem, never heard of them making a horse go blind. They also make a collar and/or a leg band to put on a horse for flies, but I have never used one and don't know how well they work. We use the mask and fly spray.

Good luck!
Alan

yes u mix it up not much vingar i really dont have an exact amount just a little .after it is mixed i put it in a spray bottle for the body and spray on my hands to rub on the face seems to work well.

Thank you, Easter. I am working with her on the fly mask and I think I will have it on her in a day or so. The spraying is a problem, as she goes absolutely ballistic anytime anyone attempts to spray her. I'm working with her on that, too, but it's going to take a little time.

ms,

Let us know how the vinegar solution works, can't smell as bad as some of the sprays and may work better.

Alan

Alan":bwzpsr3n said:
ms,

Let us know how the vinegar solution works, can't smell as bad as some of the sprays and may work better.

Alan

You have sure got that right! Most of the sprays don't work worth a flip! I have to find an Avon representitive first, then I can try it and see what happens. Oh, I forgot to mention in my previous post, another reason I'm hesitant to use fly spray is because we have fly predators out and the insecticides will kill them, too.

I was just educated to fly predators this year, do they only get the larva? I find that the fly spray only works for a few hours, not great but better than nothing. I use the masks, fly spray and the sticky fly strips (hung very high).

Alan

yeah the fly tapes and the fly bags work really well, though kind of gross. be selective when putting up fly traps or you will be looking all over for dead animals and rotten eggs though!

Beefy":11kxhe3y said:
be selective when putting up fly traps or you will be looking all over for dead animals and rotten eggs though!
I tried using the domed fly traps around the barn a couple of times, they worked OK, but oh my gosh, they stunk to high heaven. :lol:

Alan":2sk1b9hc said:
I was just educated to fly predators this year, do they only get the larva? I find that the fly spray only works for a few hours, not great but better than nothing. I use the masks, fly spray and the sticky fly strips (hung very high).

Alan

Yes, the predators only get the larva, but according to everyone we have talked to that uses them you are fly free in 2-3 years. They have made a discernable difference at the horse barn already and we have only used them for a few months, but they do nothing for the adults that are already there. Where I live (same property, but a mile to the east) is where the corrals and cows are, so the conditions are different and a much bigger fly problem.

The best fly spray that I have ever seen is Pirahna, but it is only available through a distributor, and it's not cheap (45.00/gallon from our distributor). If you go to http://www.Pirahna.com, you can find a distributor. I opened my front door the 4th of July to watch the fireworks from town and found my screen door black with flies. I closed the door, went out to the shed, got the bottle of Pirahna, came back and sprayed the screen door and every fly dropped within a few seconds. A light mist keeps horses almost totally fly free for most of the day, also. I highly recommend it.

Yes, fly traps stink to high heaven! Even worse is emptying them and re-baiting! But, they work so I'll deal with the smell. Just don't get the attractant on you or you will be a walking fly heaven all day! That smell just doesn't wash off! Don't ask me how I know this, ok?

Where do you put fly predators for cattle? Let alone horses? I assume you put them in the horse manure pile (?)

Alan

Alan":1wyoao66 said:
Where do you put fly predators for cattle? Let alone horses? I assume you put them in the horse manure pile (?)

Alan

You assume correctly! The fly predators are mailed as larvae. Within a few days of arrival, they start hatching and moving around in the package. They need to be distributed when 10 or so are visible and active, but they have to be distributed on fresh/semi-fresh manure (flies don't lay eggs in manure that is completely dried out) in various places. Once distributed, the predators will self-distribute up to 100 yards (I think, maybe it's feet) from the original place they were released. They cost a certain amount and are shipped so many (depending on the number of horses and what you select) each month.

I guess wiping there head with a towsack soaked in diesel just doesnt work for you new age horsemen?? You get even better...and cheaper...fly control from giving them a buddy...once they learn to stand side by side head to tail they can really put a whoopin on the face flies

tapeworm":8k79wuho said:
I guess wiping there head with a towsack soaked in diesel just doesnt work for you new age horsemen??

I think your right I wouldn't consider putting diesel on my horses face, I have used some of my fly mask for 3 maybe 4 years at $12 each. I must be "new age" at 47 yrs old! What's the saying? "That's sick!" :D Or as us middle agers use to say "cool".... LOL.

Alan

tapeworm":3eynpwl2 said:
I guess wiping there head with a towsack soaked in diesel just doesnt work for you new age horsemen?? You get even better...and cheaper...fly control from giving them a buddy...once they learn to stand side by side head to tail they can really put a whoopin on the face flies

Tapeworm, I had never heard of that. Our horses had always been on pasture before, and the flies weren't bad. This is a new thing for me. Wouldn't the diesel burn? I know the buddy system works good, but we only have the one horse and I can't quite justify the added expense of hay just to keep the flies off. Thanks for the info!

My vet swears by the following: equal parts:
Adams flea spray
Skin So soft
Apple Cider vinegar
Show Shean (oil helps it last longer)

It's pretty expensive

I also use cider vinegar and citronella oil mix...we have more problems with mosquitoes than flies... and after all the rain from the hurricanes and because we've had a wetter spring than usual...those skeeters are fierce

Latest posts