Flea and Tick medicine?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
We only have 1 dog but the wife has several (4) barn cats. It irritates me to spend a fortune on keeping fleas and ticks at bay, surely there is a cheaper way? I seem to recall something about the main ingredient in a weed killer or something being the same as frontline or something? I don't like getting a flea bite just by going to the barn and spray the area for flies anyway but there has got to be a cheaper alternative to monthly treatment? Any advice?

The active ingredient in frontline is fipronil. I haven't seen it in anything other than flea and tick medicine. You can check out prices online for generic frontline which will save you some.
Aprille

u can buy the largest dose of frontline and use it on all the animals-there is a dosage chart, if u are interested I can put it on here

cat-.5ml or cc
dog-0-22lbs-.67 ml or cc
dog-23-44 lbs-1.34 ml or cc
dog-45-88-2.68 ml or cc
dog-89-132-4.02 ml or cc-(whole tube)
get yourself a 1 cc syringe and pour the large dose frontline in a small container with a top, and just draw the doses out and give to the pets, i got these doses from my vet and I have been doing it like this for years-you can buy the large dose dog and use on cats, but u can't buy the cat frontline and use on the dogs

Kell-inKY":1rz6j92t said:
We only have 1 dog but the wife has several (4) barn cats. It irritates me to spend a fortune on keeping fleas and ticks at bay, surely there is a cheaper way? I seem to recall something about the main ingredient in a weed killer or something being the same as frontline or something? I don't like getting a flea bite just by going to the barn and spray the area for flies anyway but there has got to be a cheaper alternative to monthly treatment? Any advice?
I've heard of people claiming to use Ivomec on pets but seems the dose would be so miniscule you could easily overdose one and don't know how it would work on fleas and ticks anyway.

TexasBred":mvxwm7sr said:
Kell-inKY":mvxwm7sr said:
I've heard of people claiming to use Ivomec on pets but seems the dose would be so miniscule you could easily overdose one and don't know how it would work on fleas and ticks anyway.

Ivomec is for heartworms in dogs. It will n ot hurt them as long as they don't have heartworms. I dose my dogs with it and use comfortus for flea and tick. it is a flavored chew so its easy to give. I buy the biggest one and divide it up for the smaller dogs

PS this is only what I do please consult your vet if you have questions. my comments are not intended to be taken and veterinary advise. Some breeds do not do well with Ivomec , use at your own risk

M-5":2znrvwm0 said:
Ivomec is for heartworms in dogs. It will n ot hurt them as long as they don't have heartworms. I dose my dogs with it and use comfortus for flea and tick. it is a flavored chew so its easy to give. I buy the biggest one and divide it up for the smaller dogs

PS this is only what I do please consult your vet if you have questions. my comments are not intended to be taken and veterinary advise. Some breeds do not do well with Ivomec , use at your own risk

Dash an old friend that use to coon hunt a lot gave it to his hounds. Didn't think about heard worms but that's what's in the Heartguard. He would just shoot it down there throat with a syringe. Never asked him how much.