Flatbed Trailers?

Help Support CattleToday:

gertman

Reaction score
I'm planning to purchase a flatbed trailer (20 flat plus 5 dovetail at least 7 ton capacity) to haul round bales of hay and farm equipment can anyone recommend some good brands or brands to stay away from?

gertman":37ofm140 said:
I'm planning to purchase a flatbed trailer (20 flat plus 5 dovetail at least 7 ton capacity) to haul round bales of hay and farm equipment can anyone recommend some good brands or brands to stay away from?
I Have a Gooseneck built by Lawrimore Mfg., Falkville, AL. Great trailer.Bought it 2 years ago, and has performed just fine. Has the 5' collapsable Dovetail. Great for hauling hay or equipment.

I would suggest that you check the weight of the main beams as there is quite a bit of variation.

On those types of trailers there are so many, brand isn't that important. Look at the design the and way the trailer is built and welded. Also ask about the paint process used.

Moritz International makes some really nice looking flatbeds. The whole dovetail on these flips up instead of just the bed, giving you more ground clearance in the back.

cfpinz

We've got a ProStock and I see lot's of them around. Not heard any bad stories about them. Seem to be built pretty heavy. The only brand I've seen built any heavier are PJ trailers. My brother-n-law has a PJ. The PJ's don't pull quite as nice as the ProStock's IMO.

My father just bought a PJ last year, it's a very stout built trailer but the dovetail hangs so low we can't take it several places because it bottoms out. I have an International brand, it's not as heavy but has more ground clearance.

cfpinz

you're in SC. you can't go wrong with a Hudson Bro. and they are made just north of you.

gertman":2vzaimfc said:

The two best that I have seen are:
Gooseneck Brand, made in Bryan TX and Corn Pro made
in Indiana.
Both of these can be seen on the internet, just "goggle" them.

Good Luck

I've got a 20 foot Elite brand with a 5 foot dove tail. I've been happy with it. If what your looking for don't have the fold up ramps I'd suggest finding one that did. Something I paid a bit extra for was a "pop-up" between the ramps. Sure makes it nice and easy when getting those last couple of bales on as there is no void between the ramps with the "pop-up" lifted.

Just something to think about.

J