Five quarters?

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
I've got a Simental Heifer due in about 4 days or so. Tonight I was checking out her progress. She's loosening up in back and bagging up well in the front half of the bag. The back half is a little less, but I noticed something odd. In the center of her bag, pointing backwards, is a fifth teat. It's only a nub, maybe the size of a big thimble, but it's a teat.
Has anyone else seen this and if so, has it caused any problems?

commonly known as a blind teat.

nothing to worry about. some folks get rid of them because they look bad, but just ignore it.

They can have as many as six. Only four are "good" - aka give milk. Don't remove the extras this close to calving - it'll only cause problems.

Thanks for the quick help. I'm sure you can tell this will be "my" first calf. It's just that it looked like a cyclops staring straight back at me. Kinda wierded me out and I wasn't sure what to think. Hopefully I'll have a picture to post in a few days. You folks have been a huge help. Thanks so much!

I've got a good Longhorn cow with six teats-the two extra ones in the back are small and don't produce milk. They probably should have been removed when she was young but I didn't own her then. They don't cause any problems, just aren't attractive.

John in WI":1tpynzbm said:
Thanks for the quick help. I'm sure you can tell this will be "my" first calf. It's just that it looked like a cyclops staring straight back at me. Kinda wierded me out and I wasn't sure what to think. Hopefully I'll have a picture to post in a few days. You folks have been a huge help. Thanks so much!
no need for a picture weve seen plenty of um and you will too if you stay in the business long. ;-)

Most of my cows have 6 but only the front 4 work. Except for one and she has 5 working.

ALACOWMAN":1inffg5p said:
John in WI":1inffg5p said:
no need for a picture weve seen plenty of um and you will too if you stay in the business long. ;-)

I think he meant a picture of the new calf.

One of the boss' cows has 4 quarters, but one has two canals. The "extra" never gets milked out. She's one animal that consistently leaves the parlor dripping milk.

just learnin":3064bofr said:
ALACOWMAN":3064bofr said:
John in WI":3064bofr said:

I think he meant a picture of the new calf.
:oops: well then. weve seen plenty of those too but another one want hurt none i guess :cboy:

Latest posts