Fish and time change

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I understand if you feed catfish they get acclimated to being feed at the same time each day, this is the first year I have fed twice a day on a timer at 8:eek:oam and 6:00 pm, time changes Sunday, will the fish know the time has changed when I set the timer up an hour? On the cows I usually feed about 10 minutes later each day till they get caught up with the time. I just don't know what to do about the fish and the time change. What do you all do ? :dunce:

Here's the deal, if they don't follow the rules and come to feed at a set time they are hard do'ers.
You gotta cull em. All of them. At once.
Fry them, bake em, sell em. There's even a guy here whos daddy used to smoke em. But they always made the Rollin papers oily I think he said.
Either way, if they can't take he time change, cull them and get new, more expensive, higher producing fish that can tell the difference in daylight standard time.

I don;t feed fish with them but I never change the clocks on my feeders. Never noticed anything hanging around waiting to be fed or starving to death cause they weren;t fed on time.

Don't worry when the time changes the extra hour of sunlight in the afternoon will make the water warmer and they won't require as much feed to stay warm and won't notice the change.Seriously, Hook is right on them tho'. Just cull the hard doers and those too dumb to know the time has changed. gs

If it is on a regular timer like one that goe's off at daylight and then again so many hour's no.

Seriously it is a catfish with the brain the size of a pin head. You can walk by my feeder and bang on it and in about 10 seconds you will have eyeball's and whiskers staring at you. That's in one out four pond's that the dang otter's did wipe out.

I didn't know catfish had clocks!!! In order for the fish it know the time changed they would need to be able to tell time and have a watch . There is still the same amount of day light

hooknline":1sit0v8h said:
Here's the deal, if they don't follow the rules and come to feed at a set time they are hard do'ers.
You gotta cull em. All of them. At once.
Fry them, bake em, sell em. There's even a guy here whos daddy used to smoke em. But they always made the Rollin papers oily I think he said.
Either way, if they can't take he time change, cull them and get new, more expensive, higher producing fish that can tell the difference in daylight standard time.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

JSCATTLE":26od1djy said:
I didn't know catfish had clocks!!! In order for the fish it know the time changed they would need to be able to tell time and have a watch . There is still the same amount of day light

I know one thing for sure Labrador Retrievers have clocks. If mine doesn't get fed between 5 and 5:15 pm every day she is a PIA. and yes she hates it when the time change is not in her favor. It takes me a month to get her regulated again.

I've been truly blessed, haven't wore a watch for almost 50 years now. Fish, game, and some folks live and die by the sun and moon.
And thats the secret to fishing, hunting not so much. But you should be able to train any animal to do what you want.

Only the human animal is dumb enough to change the clock trying to create more daylight. DST advocates are the first "social engineers", passing laws to try and "improve" things which are already perfect. They gave BO his campaign slogan, donchaknow. Most of them voted for change! Lord knows there is not much hope for them. Americans, secure your clocks--secure your freedom from those who would control everything about our lives.
There was a day when a man could look to the sky and note the position of the sun and decide to eat dinner (midday). The Romans did pretty well with that, it should be noted.
Oh well,sigh.

I never worry about what "time" it is on my watch when I feed. Used to feed my fish in my new pond each evening.. so that is my time to feed. .. same way with my cattle. EVENING TIME is it. Nothing specific... as long as its not dark.
Now that being said... there is a good article in Progressive Farmer mag this month about feeding cattle in the evening, and they will calve in the daytime. Studies were done on it, and it seems to be how it works. I had always noticed that my cattle do calve early morning..and not at night, and I always feed in the evening... let em graze during the day.

You could just feed them at 9 and 7 and hope they don't find a clock.

Seriously, you are just gonna feed them an hour early, I think they will be acclimated to the time change in 30 seconds or less. Mine always come swarming no matter when I feed. That goes for cattle and catfish.

Latest posts