First timer with a few questions

Help Support CattleToday:

lemonhead7233

Reaction score
So, I purchased my first steer. He is a angus/brangus cross and he weighs about 565 pounds. Anyways, I just got him on Saturday and he is eating very little, he is however drinking water. I figured he just needs to get used to his surroundings. Then on morning of the third day, it was the first cold morning, he had a clear discharge coming from his nose but nothing from his eyes. I figured you get runny noses when its cold. Then I checked on him during the day and the runny nose was cleared up. Now this morning on his fifth day, he is still eating very little and had a runny nose. Manure does not look like diarrhea. He is very alert still and aware of his surroundings. If he is laying down he gets up to see what's going on but I am concerned he is not eating enough. I even tried to entice him with some Sweet COB and wont even touch it. So I guess my question is whether this is normal, is he getting sick, depressed, or am I over analyzing the situation.

is he by his self?
is he chewing his cud when laying down?
was he just taken off the cow or has he been weaned for some time?

He is by himself for the moment wanted to see his temperament and observe him. Do not know to much about where he came from. I am thinking he was out to pasture then brought in and sold.

I guess he does. The tail seats back and forth when he gets up. I guess if you are asking his tail is not limp. I have a video just don't know how to upload it on here

You are likely over analyzing. If he was freshly weaned he would likely walk the fence and bawl. It is nice to know what their diet was before you switch them to the new environment. Stress is the worst thing for him. The less stress he is under, the better. Let him settle.

It is hard to analyze any animal over the internet. Congratulations on becoming a cattle owner. I wish you the best of luck.

He would do much better with some company. They are herd animals so being by himself could be a big adjustment as well.

Thanks guys. Looking for some company for him. Only concern I have is the runny nose in the morning. Should I give him antibiotics or wait it out?

the BEST thing to do if you do not know if he is sick or do not know much about cattle is have a vet look at him. It is just a guessing game for us to try to tell you about a calf that we have not even seen.

Latest posts