first time calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
I bred my first heifer, back in April.
I was just wondering what changes i should expect to see out of her.
Will her temperament change, changes with her body, etc.
Also she is a show heifer and so i feed her quite a bit, so as her pregnancy goes on do i need to feed her
less feed more roughage or the same as i feed her now.
As of now she eats 17lbs a feeding twice a day with free choice hay.

Different cows have different changes, just when she calves she could turn crazy (just being a good protective mother)...

As far as feed she definately needs to cut back, as of when i do not know, but if she is overly conditioned she could have calving issues

Hi, you may want to cut back on the feeding. The closer she gets to her due date the more the calf will gain and you don't want her to have too big of a calf as to cause problems such as having to pull the calf and all that.
But good look with her.

texast":gtejtdq2 said:
Hi, you may want to cut back on the feeding. The closer she gets to her due date the more the calf will gain and you don't want her to have too big of a calf as to cause problems such as having to pull the calf and all that.
But good look with her.
At what point should i start cutting back on feed?

I would today,depending on how your pasture grass is looking.The last trimester is when the calf grows the most. I would reduce the feed by so many lbs then get it down next to nothing.
So that I'm clear do you feed her 17lbs twice a day? and will you be showing her again?

Also get her palpated to see how many months she's bred so you can have an expected due dated. That way you can watch for changes in her. I always like watch for the bags to fill up and all that just a thing I do that is a tell tell sign.

texast":1ydnpp0c said:
I would today,depending on how your pasture grass is looking.The last trimester is when the calf grows the most. I would reduce the feed by so many lbs then get it down next to nothing.
So that I'm clear do you feed her 17lbs twice a day? and will you be showing her again?
She's only 2 1/2 months bred.
Yes, 17lbs twice a day, 34lbs in all.
Yes, she is only 19 months so she still has one more show season in her.
And the pasture doesn't look to bountiful.

Unless you are showing her now, reduce the feed and increase the hay. She needs to be turned out where she can walk and forage. If you are keeping her stalled and fat, your are increasing her chances of having problems calving.

chippie":7038m1ow said:
Unless you are showing her now, reduce the feed and increase the hay. She needs to be turned out where she can walk and forage. If you are keeping her stalled and fat, your are increasing her chances of having problems calving.
Even worse then that is the fat being deposited in her udder, that has a life time affect.

Latest posts