First Show

Help Support CattleToday:

kathy

Reaction score
I guess I need someone to tell me that I'm flat out of my mind! As I posted the other day that I had just received some cattle in from another state. Well 2 are show heifers and also a young bull - show quality came in. I have never shown before and I am planning on NWSS, of '06'. Not afraid to jump in head first usually,but now I'm thinking twice. Any tips for a first-timer? I've only got a few months to learn everything I can.

Go for it. I've been showing cattle, Brahmans ( for 30 years) and South Devon (for 15 years) Just love it. Get the poos sometime when beaten by inferior cattle but soon get over it when I sell the minor placegetters and the major winners end up at the meatworks.
What are you going to show? Get tired sometimes having to get up early,but the joy of your animals winning soon makes you forget about the tiredness.
Good luck
Colin

Not afraid to jump in head first usually,but now I'm thinking twice
EEKs - that's really jumping in!! What breed? If I were you, I would plan on taking them to something "smaller" first. They may be broke to show - but you are not! Go to a smaller show & WATCH & learn.
You need to be rinsing & brushing them daily NOW & forever :shock: :D till after show season.
Are you going to hire someone to clip & fit them? Clipping is NOT something you will learn overnight. Good luck!

I'm showing herefords, actually the lady I bought them from said that the bull could only show '06' and '07', as junior bull. I purchased him for breeding obviously and I want to get him out there. There is the possiblility that I could get one of her daughters to show for me. Also I am hoping to hire a fitter also. But that still leaves me with get the animals ready. Any tips on how to go about hiring a fitter? Are they just there, waiting to be hired? Do I need to contact before hand? These animals have all been clipped before there arrival, and no I do not intend to try that myself, I've got some connections with some a 4-H leaders that could help me, if needed. But my main problem is not having the proper set up for bathing. Any suggestions?

kathy":21z8tgcn said:
I'm showing herefords, actually the lady I bought them from said that the bull could only show '06' and '07', as junior bull. I purchased him for breeding obviously and I want to get him out there. There is the possiblility that I could get one of her daughters to show for me. Also I am hoping to hire a fitter also. But that still leaves me with get the animals ready. Any tips on how to go about hiring a fitter? Are they just there, waiting to be hired? Do I need to contact before hand? These animals have all been clipped before there arrival, and no I do not intend to try that myself, I've got some connections with some a 4-H leaders that could help me, if needed. But my main problem is not having the proper set up for bathing. Any suggestions?

Hi Kathy....I'm an Angus girl but I know of some fitters out of the Enumclaw, Graham, and Kent areas that have been fitting Herefords for years. I can get you a couple of contact names in Eastern washington too. The shock to me was even a less experienced fitter is in the $75 per animal. Watch them...video tape them, go to fitting clinics....it pays off. Don't quit, Go for it......you only live once. My first show was the Puyallup.. If you would like the fitters contact names, email me. jmd :cboy:

kathy":hn2j836j said:
But my main problem is not having the proper set up for bathing. Any suggestions?

what kind of set up do you have? are they in a corral? do you have access to a corral and a hose? i tied my steer up to a post in the corral and hosed and washed him there. good luck.

There is NOTHING more fun than showing cattle! I showed horses for years, and didn't have nearly as much fun.

Go to a local show and check out the proceedures. If you're going to get a fitter, you won't have to concern yourself so much with what to do with them on show day. You may even get the fitter to take them to his / her place and keep them until the show. But you will need to know what to do in the ring.

Good luck!

Show them who is boss and when they drag you dont let go until they stop then get back on your feet and pray they dont take off again. If you let go of them then they know they can get away from you and they will keep trying. Dont be scard of them because my sister is scard of them and they boss her around. That always works for me.

Yes I do have a corral and a hose, what about drying this time of year? I don't of yet have a blower, fan, whatever. This is to Mahoney yes I would like the contact names. Need email address. To everyone else thanks a bunch.

You need to have a place to keep them indoors during the day & outside at night for exercise. This time of year, their hair is going to grow plenty. If you do not have a place to rinse easily (do NOT wash them - just rinse), you can just use a spray bottle & spray water with Mane & Tail conditioner mixed into the water. Just spray them & brush, brush. Be sure to tie their heads up high while you are working with them. They should be tied up for 1 hour - to up to 3-4 hours/day. They need to get used to standing for long periods of time for the show.
They may be clipped up now, but that won't last. You won't want to wait til you get to Denver for their clipping. It usually takes several times to get the hair blocked out right - before the show. Usually there will be fitters available at the show from "other" breeds. Hereford fitters will be busy with Herefords.

so what is the purpose in keeping them indoors during the day and out at night? for hair growth? if you can't keep them in during the day then what? so just using a spray bottle with mane & tail conditioner will be enough for now? also what if i got one of the 4-H kids to fit them, and show me how, good or bad idea? one more you said that the hereford fitters would be busy there's a difference? sorry for all the questions but i said i was a novice. thanks for the help, i need all i can get

You might check on deadlines before planning on the National Western. The Angus Assoc. for example has an ownership and entry deadline. I believe prospect classes are the 15th of Dec. Open breeding is Nov.15th. Youth classes are the 15th of Nov. You also have to have a health certificate from a local vet. Hotels also fill up early.

thanks, I guess that there has been a block of rooms reserved at the best western, papers have already been taken care of and the vet has been out to check already, not sure if he came too soon, will he have to check again do you think?

Check the website to see how current your health papers need to be. We've never been there, but from what I hear if you exhibit as a junior you must care for the cattle yourself. From what I understand that includes clipping, feeding, etc.. Someone please correct me if I misunderstood!! If the bull is eligible to be shown for two years maybe you should just go & observe this year & figure everything out & then make a run at it next year. Small shows can be overwhelming for rookies - I can only imagine what Denver would be like for a first show!!

If you keep them outside during the day, the hair will get dull from sun/weather. The color will fade & hair will dry out. Also, if it gets hot (don't think this is a problem for you now) they will shed their hair.
Spraying with a bottle is an alternative to rinsing. I spray our showstring each morning. Evenings we would rinse when possible - if not, I would wet them with spray bottle again. And brush, brush with head tied up high.
I say the Hfd fitters will be busy, meaning DURING THE HEREFORD SHOW, if you wait til you get there to hire someone. Fitters from other breeds, won't be busy unless their breed show is at the same time as the Hfd. Of course, if you find someone now, you can hire them to be there JUST FOR YOU. That's more expensive, but you are guaranteed help - which sounds like you will need it.
Prep work before going to the fair is as important as the care they need at the fair. Do you have a blow dryer? grooming chute? set up panels? There is a lot more to showing than arriving at a fair with cattle.
That's why I suggested you go to a SMALL county fair or something local BEFORE attempting Denver.

Jeanne thanks your info is invaluable to me as are the others. But what if someone else did the showing for me, would that make a difference? My first plan was just to visit this year, but then the lady I bought them from encouraged me to go ahead and try, albeit after my determination surfaced. I have the animals tied for about 2 1/2 hrs. a.m. and the same p.m. They do really well. So I've given myself till deadline to decide whether or not I will attempt it. Lots of thanks to those you have responded!

If the person you bought them from encouraged you to show them, did they offer to help you get started?
Besides brushing them they also need showring training. Like getting used to the showstick and how they are to stand.

Hi Kathy,
I am just learning all of this too. We got into purebred Red Angus last year. This summer I spent some time going to shows both small 4-H shows and the large ones like the Calgary Stampede. I just watched what everyone was doing and learnt a lot from it. November 6th I am off to a cattle fitting clinic. They supply the cow and show me what to do. It is free (couldn't believe that) at Farmfair in Red Deer. Maybe there is a clinic somewhere around you, I would check. I'm hoping to learn a lot there. I was also thinking that I should pick up some clippers and start practising on the cows no one is going to see! :lol: I think it will be awhile before I would actually feel comfortable doing the clipping before a show but it will be fun learning. Let me know how you make out. It's nice to see someone else who is just starting. I came here last year and got a lot of help from everyone on halter training a heifer. She's now nicely used to a halter (her pic is on the Breeds board) and I give much of the credit to the people here. They gave great advice and best of all reminded me I am not alone in this! ;-)

Latest posts