First Pic Post Attempt

Help Support CattleToday:

the bull is looking good running out on pasture with 25 cows he looks tobe getting plenty to eat as he is working scott

buckaroo_bif":3n268njv said:
very nice looking hereford cow.
where did you buy the angus heifers?
bif

My original intent was to purchase 3-5 heifers. The hard part was finding someone who had some for sale. Everyone I talked to, it seemed, was keeping their heifers to increase their herd or for replacements. Those who were selling heifers had already sold them. Anyway, there was a farm in the area that had an Angus herd that seemed exceptional to me, so I pulled into his driveway, knocked on the door, and introduced myself. We talked, he showed me his cattle, and we made a deal. Then he called me up at home a day later and offered me a better deal. I took it. When I went to pick them up on the weekend, he stopped me and offered me an even better deal! So I took that. The fellow must have taken a liking to me, because he really could have gotten more for his cattle at the local sale barn, and he knew it!

By the way, the pic posted was taken way back in March and the heifers have grown quite a bit since then.

you got em bred yet rw? looks like some excellent replacements there for a commercial herd.!
bif

buckaroo_bif":3236f72l said:
you got em bred yet rw? looks like some excellent replacements there for a commercial herd.!
bif

Thanks Bif,

No, they're not bred yet. They range from 6 - 9 months old now. I'll probably breed them to have Dec '06 - Jan '07 calves. Since they're all together in their own pasture, I'll put one of my bulls in with them as soon as the youngest ones are ready to breed. I hope to have no more than a 45-day calving season with that group. 30 days would be even better. We'll see.

I like to synchronize heifers just to make an easier calving season even when bred naturally.
good luck!
bif

Latest posts