First Here

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Bought a 1/2 Hereford 1/2 Shorthorn heifer off my neighbor last year. I know it was a heifer I had a weak moment.
I just couldn't pass on a 14 month ready to breed for 800 dollars. Neighbor just sold that cheap cause he thought she was to good for the salebarn.
This morning she brought up a black baldie calf looks to weigh about 55-60 pounds.
I have never messed with any SH before neighbor raise them and the cross with Hereford had fine momma cow wrote on it.
So we will see how this 1/2 Angus 1/4 Hereford and 1/4 SH grows off.

greybeard":2sp21gro said:
Is it a bull or heifer calf?

I haven't a clue binoculars are not that good.
Seen her bringing it up to the hay rack while I was eating biscuits and fig perseveres at the breakfast table.
Went out on the front porch and looked at it. I am fixing to go put out hay figured I would look the little fella over then.

I'd like to see the cow and the calf. I've never had any shorthorn either but crossed with a Hereford I bet she's a pretty nice heifer.

A shorthorn is a very good breed that's bad overlooked. They are sure good to make a cross with.
More important are the fig preserves. Do y'all put a lemon rind slices in yours? When I was little we had a wild fig that had small figs. Much better than the large ones, I've looked all through catalogs and can't find that kind.

Nice pair - gotta love new calves!
We have a half Hereford half shorthorn cow that has have given us two really good calves so far. Hope to have her around for a long time yet.

denvermartinfarms":2pb9agv0 said:
Very nice! Cow and calf look good to me. The calf looks Looks like a heifer?

It is a heifer neighbor I bought the cow off of is trying to trade me already at weaning.
Want's to trade the full sister to the heifer I bought. I am thinking on it have an old Hereford girl that is 17 that is going
to have to be replaced. She still has good teeth and a calf every 11 months but her journey can't go on much longer.

What are all of the wite soap suds scattered on the ground for? Any place but tx and I would think it was snow!

jedstivers":1c4d92uv said:
A shorthorn is a very good breed that's bad overlooked. They are sure good to make a cross with.
More important are the fig preserves. Do y'all put a lemon rind slices in yours? When I was little we had a wild fig that had small figs. Much better than the large ones, I've looked all through catalogs and can't find that kind.

Jed the tractor store in town has an old tree on the south side that has those little sweet figs.
My DIL brought me some pear and fig preserves a few weeks ago. They were the big figs.
I never cared for the lemon rinds in mine. I know a lot of people do ,if I get a jar with them just eat around them.

dun":3dzh2zf3 said:
What are all of the wite soap suds scattered on the ground for? Any place but tx and I would think it was snow!

I am going to frame that picture cause of the snow.
Going to go check the game cameras tomorrow not often will you see deer in snow either here.

Caustic Burno":1bxnesge said:
Seen her bringing it up to the hay rack while I was eating biscuits and fig perseveres at the breakfast table.

CB, being diabetic myself, how do I get on a diet that allows biscuits and fig preserves? Add some country ham and eggs I might have to fall off the wagon.

Cabo":18tfzlv6 said:
Caustic Burno":18tfzlv6 said:

CB, being diabetic myself, how do I get on a diet that allows biscuits and fig preserves? Add some country ham and eggs I might have to fall off the wagon.

That is why I walk a mile and a half a day so I can once in a while.
I allow myself one day a week to enjoy some of the finer things in life.

Caustic Burno":myaa3fpe said:
Jed just figs are just fig's.

Here is something you don't get to do every day in East Texas pic of new calf with snow on the ground.

The cow.
Great picture of that little one! Crazy winter weather that is for sure. Grandgirl got her snowmobile suck while riding in the Upper Peninsula, was waist high to her (she is 5'10") she said Grandma we are having a blast! Anyway congrats on your bovine,looking good!

Caustic Burno":1a3ok8ij said:
Jed just figs are just fig's.

Here is something you don't get to do every day in East Texas pic of new calf with snow on the ground.

The cow.

Great photo, if it is a steer it has freezer beef written all over it. Have to disagree about figs, all figs are not created equal. In our climate a Celeste rules the roost followed closely by LSU Purple and Florentine. Out west where it is a little drier the Mission variety works better. If you want figs in October and November go with a Brown Turkey. My grandmother was a diabetic and she would whip out the shotgun on anyone who went near her Celeste tree even though it was big enough to feed a small school.

Latest posts