First heifers advice requested

Help Support CattleToday:

tampamiketaylor":2aff5ygh said:
Primetime straws ordered. Thanks again for your solid advice!

Regards,
Mike Taylor
you won't regret it
I agree with OT and LP
I love them D806 calves out of hfrs
I have calved out several hundred hfrs bred to him in the last few yrs and I have pulled less than 10 and a couple of them was probably me wanting to get them done and over so i could go to the house :lol2:

Not a bad decision at all, Mike. Even if these heifers are over-conditioned, they oughta be able to squirt out a D806 calf without trouble.
Everything I've ever heard from folks who used him and retained heifers was positive, though some said that 'they didn't look like much' as weanlings, but really got better from then on.
I'd have to agree, from my limited experience - they're not 'pretty' show heifers - and if you've ever seen a picture of D806's dam, almost every one I've got looks like her(though they may be white-faced or gray/brown) - but they should be nice, economical cows with good udders that perform well. Some have suggested that D806 sires too much hair for the Southeast, but I've not noticed that my D806 calves are slower to slick off than those by other Angus sires - but I don't have much 'dirty' fescue on this place.
WW is pretty low, and I'll admit that my D806 steers haven't grown off as big as those sired by the herd bull, who bests his WW epd by nearly 20, but with a $W in the top 1% and $EN in the top 2% of the breed, his daughters ought to make -and save - you some money. And D806-sired steers have performed well in the feedlot.
http://www.sinclaircattle.com/ratcliff_print.html

Lucky_P":3o4k6vt7 said:

Interesting article Lucky_P... I had not seen it before....Thanks for posting it...

Normally I'm not very supportive of the "Big" "corporate" type breeders- preferring to work with the smaller operations (who I think produce more "Diamonds in the Rough" sires/dams that are never recognized because of the lack of big name emotion and commotion and big dollar promotion)-- but I do have to say that I think Sinclair (as a corporate entity) has done great things in bringing together some of the top bloodlines of the old top breeders and bloodlines that I have been trying to follow with my cattle-- the old Ritos/707 breeding of Dale Davis, the Emulations of N-Bar, and the Ideals of Jorgensons- plus others...

We' ve added in some Wye, Juanada, and Shoshone bloodlines to our cattle along with those- and think the entire combination represents some of the best of the angus bloodlines in the US in the past 50+ years....

To me much better- and way more reliable/predictable than the 9J9/Precision, Fame, 036/New Design, and Bando 598 bloodlines that are so popular today... ;-)

Latest posts