First Cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Here it is the nearly the first of July. I have not made a first cutting yet except for about 30 bales. I now have hay on the ground and the ground is to wet to get across. The hay has been on the ground for a week now. I keep getting a 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches of rain ever two days or so. If it is cloudy it is raining. And I am not the only one in this predicament here.

I know you are wet. I have a friend that lives between Quitman and Yantis and he got 5 inches total last Wednesday during the storms. I had 1.4 last night here in Van Zandt County.

BC said:
I know you are wet. I have a friend that lives between Quitman and Yantis and he got 5 inches total last Wednesday during the storms. I had 1.4 last night here in Van Zandt County.

And you got another round last night......and the night before that.....and maybe tonight too.

Flip side of this is feeding hay in July like we have in the past. What kind of fun would it be if you could turn rain on and off like a yard sprinkler? :D

BC said:

My farm is between Quitman and Yantis. About a mile or so south of 515 and on 154.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Can you strip graze the mowed hay? to try to salvage it?
I am grazing every thing that I can that has a fence. Cows doing well at this time but not many more months and the grazing will be over with. Maybe this problem will push me to quit the cow and calf business. And if i want to try something else then I can or can't that will be left up to me. People are scrambling for hay here big time. I am not the only one with the weather problem.

about to mow the rest of my 1st cutting. looks like we'll finally have about 5-6 days of dry nice sunny weather.

got it mowed.. so thick it was pulling the tractor and disc mower back. insane. i've never ran my equipment so hard..

Latest posts