First cut is rolled.

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett

Reaction score
Finished baling my first cut of the season. 20 acres of ryegrass/bermuda made 42 5x5 rolls. About what I expected. Cut back on the fertilizer by 30% and production fell 30%. Fertilizer cost is still $29.07/roll but I did get to graze it for a couple weeks in February.

I have not fertilized my meadow yet. I still have a barn full of hay from last year. Don't really know what to do with it. I could graze it but I have plenty of grass in the pasture. If I can get the money together maybe I could run some stockers on it.
Good thing you got your hay now it looks as though we could have some dry weather ahead. Right now I am spending my money on herbicide trying to save the moisture for the grass just in case we go back into drought.

Must be nice to be bailing hay already.I have two months before my early alfalfa will be ready. have to corn in between now and then.

isnt it nice to already have some hay rolled up.means that hay season is getting underway.

bigbull338":361i9ll9 said:
isnt it nice to already have some hay rolled up.means that hay season is getting underway.

:clap: For me it means that it is half done for this year. Well at least 1/3, fertilized 43 acres yesterday and today. Just couldn't stand not to do it. I don't need the hay but the cows probably can use the grass, especially if we keep missing the rains.

cedar":l2etwgt9 said:
wind snow 30f cows nead hay :cry2:
You are not alone.

I bought some hay from a neighbor today - April 26th and pastures are at least one week and with the weather forecast, probably two weeks (MAY 10th!) from being able to support the cows. Trees just barely starting to bud. Right now it is 39 deg F outside with a 20 mph wind most of the day today.

Their daily hay consumption seems to have increased dramatically now that all calves are on the ground - actually jumping around.

No corn in the ground. Only a few oats planted in the county.

Be thankful you are able to roll some hay - we may need it here.

I am thankful for a successful calving season (= the girls did not need help from me) even though the calves seemed very large this year. Actually they probably had a cow/heifer meeting and said "girls, this guy is not likely to be much help..."

Just not sure if will have enough pasture the way things are going with the weather.

Latest posts