First Calf !!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Millerranch

Reaction score
So my one Herford Heifer just had a calf. I am away on a business trip so my wife is a little excited. She calved OK. The calf has been up walking, but my wife has not seen her suck yet. Currently she says the calf is lying under the mother sleeping. I thinking she probably sucked already and is now napping. If she has not, how long can she go without sucking?

Thanks,

Tom

Well,

little calf is sucking and bedded down with mom now. Everything is good. First calf on the ground, feels good. bunch more to come yet.

What shots do you all give calfs when they are born? My local vet says nothing until about 2 months of age, but I always remember giving them shots right when they were born. I sprayed the naval really good today with Iodine, what else?

Thanks,

Tom

Millerranch":2b0hcgh8 said:
Well,

little calf is sucking and bedded down with mom now. Everything is good. First calf on the ground, feels good. bunch more to come yet.

What shots do you all give calfs when they are born? My local vet says nothing until about 2 months of age, but I always remember giving them shots right when they were born. I sprayed the naval really good today with Iodine, what else?

Thanks,

Tom

we dont give shots when born here most people i know anyway. we tag, band em if bull calf, and give them a sqour pill and thats it till branding time then they get thier shots.

Occasionally we do vaccinate at birth, but most of the time we do it at branding time. If the calf gets colostrum at birth and is healthy on a healthy cow then he should be well-protected by his dam's antibodies. If not, you're probably in trouble anyway -- lol.

Latest posts