First Calf Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
A PB Simmental Heifer sired by Montecito. Calved 10/23/2015. Weaned a 780 pound bull calf at 7 months. Bred back on 1/15/2016 to Broadway. Due 10/26/16. I see first and second calf heifers get pulled down. I even see it at Fire Sweep Simmental Ranch. Have not experienced it in the 6 years here. Most of my herd has been built with heifers so there is more than one data point.

2vxkuuo.jpg

PS: I have seven ex show cows/heifers in my herd from three sources: 1. Fire Sweep. 2. Double Diamond. 3. Roy Canada.

I have not had any foot issues and all have performed beyond expectations. I know the myths about ex show girls. No problems here so far.

TennesseeTuxedo":sws3o5c2 said:
You're under stocked, have exceptional pastures, and give your cattle damm near "free choice" feed year round.

Of course they hold condition.

Correct, correct, incorrect. The amount of feed my cattle get is not going to make much difference in condition.

I will add these factors:
1. Diligent parasite control.
2. Diligent vaccination planning.
3. Tender loving care.

I buy a feed at the Mayslick Mill that is sold under the name, Blue Ribbon Beef Mix. I buy ten fifty pound bags at a time to get a 10 % discount. It is listed as a 12 % protein feed. I posted the label and TB called it a mediocre feed. Those 500 pounds will last 2 weeks. When they are on pasture like I have currently, 500 pounds lasts a month. The cows on the back 30 are getting zero. The cows in the north pasture with spring calves on them, get a couple pounds maybe every third day to keep them coming to the headquarters in case I need to treat and so I can halter break their calves.

Fertilized pasture with quality grass and legumes is better than any feed you can buy. In a normal operation a cows condition goes up in times of plenty and down during the poor times. There's alot of places where a cow has to walk 5 miles just to get water.
You have nice stock Inyati but there pampered and could never hold up around here.
I see my animals as what they are animals.

M-5":3pggncp9 said:
That's 35# a day, Ronnie. Divided among how many head?? If you were feeding 35 head its still considered supplementing forage .

During winter feeding that is correct. Not counting calves, I currently have 21 cows on the farm. Two of those belong to Fire Sweep Simmentals which I am keeping in return for Kris finishing my two bulls which she is selling for me on a commission basis.

True Grit Farms":3hicm02k said:
Fertilized pasture with quality grass and legumes is better than any feed you can buy. In a normal operation a cows condition goes up in times of plenty and down during the poor times. There's alot of places where a cow has to walk 5 miles just to get water.
You have nice stock Inyati but there pampered and could never hold up around here.
I see my animals as what they are animals.

I agree with you on the potential of pasture. I am convinced that is responsible for my performance.

I do pamper my cows. I don't do this for the money. I do it for other rewards.

You've got nice cattle, good facilities, high powered genetics, good grass, a little supplement, and lots of time. That sounds like a recipe for big weaning weights. Glad your achieving them. Hypothetical question.............I wonder if a 600 pound weaned calf, would be more "profitable", with far less inputs?

BTW, I am guilty of of all the things listed above, except the free time. Just wondering what people think.

Bigfoot":3mrlu899 said:
You've got nice cattle, good facilities, high powered genetics, good grass, a little supplement, and lots of time. That sounds like a recipe for big weaning weights. Glad your achieving them. Hypothetical question.............I wonder if a 600 pound weaned calf, would be more "profitable", with far less inputs?

BTW, I am guilty of of all the things listed above, except the free time. Just wondering what people think.

Excellent summary. The time is a major factor. It allows me to do many things that other producers cannot imagine. My AI success is an example. I serviced 9 cows, one of which was a heifer, from December until the end of January and stuck everyone of them on one service. But who else has the time to map out each cows cycle in advance. Then when she is close to her cycle, bring her into the bull pen and watch her even during the middle of the night. I prepare my semen in the comfort of my house, go out breed her and turn her out.

I don't evaluate my inputs based on profit. I do it mainly on the basis of convenience. I know I am understocked but I don't want to manage more cows. I enjoy having some diverse genetics. Fire Sweep does all my mating combinations because that is her expertise. After her help, I saw a significant advancement in the quality of my calves. This fall should be dramatic given her involvement.

inyati13":3ilogzb4 said:
Bigfoot":3ilogzb4 said:

Excellent summary. The time is a major factor. It allows me to do many things that other producers cannot imagine. My AI success is an example. I serviced 9 cows, one of which was a heifer, from December until the end of January and stuck everyone of them on one service. But who else has the time to map out each cows cycle in advance. Then when she is close to her cycle, bring her into the bull pen and watch her even during the middle of the night. I prepare my semen in the comfort of my house, go out breed her and turn her out.

I don't evaluate my inputs based on profit. I do it mainly on the basis of convenience. I know I am understocked but I don't want to manage more cows. I enjoy having some diverse genetics. Fire Sweep does all my mating combinations because that is her expertise. After her help, I saw a significant advancement in the quality of my calves. This fall should be dramatic given her involvement.

I'm livin for the day, when cattle/maintain my farm is all I do. Cow calved last night, I had no idea she was about to calve. Got the majority of due dates set down. I'm gone so much, I miss a few.

inyati13":a71m10on said:
callmefence":a71m10on said:
They're dreaming about being the prince's cattle, pretending to graze in the royal forest

Inatyi
Who's Bob. Why has he been assigned a tree.

My Dad.
Is Bob's tree an ash (can't tell from pic)? If so better get it treated for that #&$!ing ash borer beetle. Just treated some here, and it isn't cheap..

Lazy M":1uyvjs3k said:
inyati13":1uyvjs3k said:
callmefence":1uyvjs3k said:
They're dreaming about being the prince's cattle, pretending to graze in the royal forest

Inatyi
Who's Bob. Why has he been assigned a tree.

My Dad.
Is Bob's tree an ash (can't tell from pic)? If so better get it treated for that #&$!ing ash borer beetle. Just treated some here, and it isn't cheap..

Sycamore. Every white ash on the farm is now dead.

You have some very lucky animals! :D If I showed my cows your pictures I'm pretty sure they would pack their bags and head on down there.

Latest posts