first calf aborted need info

Help Support CattleToday:

jessiecow

Reaction score
please help, i'm not a cow person.my herford heifer just aborted,she was due in april,calf was about the size of a dog. appeared to have been alive at birth. i didn't see any 'cleanings" (placenta). heifer looks ok no sign of sickness.(yet) do i assume everything is ok?? should she/can she be milked? how long before she can be rebred?

jessiecow":owx8l49d said:
please help, i'm not a cow person.my herford heifer just aborted,she was due in april,calf was about the size of a dog. appeared to have been alive at birth. i didn't see any 'cleanings" (placenta). heifer looks ok no sign of sickness.(yet) do i assume everything is ok?? should she/can she be milked? how long before she can be rebred?

Shedding the placenta may not take place immediately. She should shed it within about 12 hours, I believe. I wouldn't milk her as that will just keep the milk flowing. She will quit producing milk within a week or two (dry up). She should come back into heat in about 30 days and can be re-bred at that time.

jessie...,

If she has milk and you think the calf was live I think she was closer than 7 months.
Milk her for a few days while looking for a calf at the sale barn. Don't loose the year with her. It happens. If you need help with getting her to let you milk....let us know. Also, if you need help of how to break her in with an orphan calf let us know. It is a little work but can be fun.

i doubt she has much milk since the calf was so early. you could try and see though if you want. she will likely continue to expel stuff for a few days and may have some retained placenta. she will clean out on her own and be fine more than likely. i'd just keep and eye on her for a few days.

Beefy":2q63jpuu said:
i doubt she has much milk since the calf was so early. you could try and see though if you want. she will likely continue to expel stuff for a few days and may have some retained placenta. she will clean out on her own and be fine more than likely. i'd just keep and eye on her for a few days.

She will dry up in a heart beat - nothing required from you - decide to keep her or ship her.

Done is done,

Bez!

Being only 6 months bred,when she aborted.She won't have any milk,so don't bother wasting your time trying to milk her.You will either have to rebreed her,and wait for her to have her next calf,or just ship her.

I'm sorry that your heifer aborted...is she your only cow? Have you considered having a necropsy on the fetus to find out a reason for it? Could be many things, I suppose, but it's sure not a pleasant experience, and I'd want to know why, if possible, especially if you have other cows that are due to calve. I know not everyone has access to vets and labs close by but I think our state lab charges about $66 for one.

thak you all for yor input!! jessie looks ok this morning but still no sign of any "afterbirth". she did abort in the pasture lastnight but we didn't find anything except the calf. the calf had been well cleaned off by mom.i figure she 'calved"around dusk as it was quite blustery at the time and the calf was not at all stiff yet.i now have jessie in a box stall to keep a better eye on her and watch for any sign of sickness. how long should i watch her before i can asume she is ok?
as for the milk: she does have a small firm udder and apears to have some milk but i am guessing it is best to let her dry up.

If the calf was that well cleaned it is possible the afterbirth already came and Jessie ate it since there is no sign of it. The majority of times that there is retained placenta you will see it. Keep an eye on her for any infected discharge, fever or listlessness. It sounds like you already watch her pretty carefully.
You are right about letting her dry up, that won't be a problem.

I don't know about your area but we have a problem with lepto here, which will cause cows to abort. If you are going to rebreed this heifer, now would be a good time to vaccinate her for lepto as well as BVD, etc. Being open, there are a lot more options when it comes to vaccines and they will protect the unborn fetus if given before breeding. Ask your local vet what he/she recommends for your area.

thanks for all the advice! so far jessie is looking good.she is going to stay in the box stall and corral for awhile so i can keep a close eye on her.she is missing her baby but otherwise seems ok.no sign of sickness yet "thank God". she is such a nice cow.very nicely built.i do plan on haveing her rebred but will wait till i check with the vet and make sure she has the proper vaccines and all. again thank you all for your help!!

Welcome to the board. Sorry about your calf. It is best to let her dry up. She may cycle anywhere from 7 days to 30 days, but I would wait at least 30 days before rebreeding. And I would definately vaccinate her prior to breeding.
Where in NY are you located? I'm South of Syracuse. Sun is shining - yeah!

ok, yesterday jessie started to "clean out". is it normal to take so long? her udder/teats are firm and hot but she appears to be eating and drinking still. i am feeding her only hay and water and she has a access to both a salt block and a mineral block. she is in the box stall still so i can keep a close eye on things.should i maybe turn her out? i do have a corral next to the barn.it's not real big and it is on the side hill so right now it is kinda muddy.i worry about her slipping/falling.but would exersize help her? any suggestions?