First Brahman Calves are here!

Help Support CattleToday:

BRAFORDMAN

Reaction score
Warning lots of pics

The 3 Brahman heifers I posted on here this summer calved in September. 3 bull calves :( , but they are nice hopefully they all will be herd bull material :D .

I expect my first full calf crop in August of 2012. I turned my scurred Brahman bull out with the herd October 22.

Here are pictures of the calves from september to the present. As well as a few heifers.

1 day old bull
polled_bull_calf_09-2011.jpg

2 day old bull calf
S_cow_and_her_polled_bull_calf.jpg

Day old calf taking a nap
1_day_old_polled_brahman_bull_calf_september_2011.jpg

October pic. 1 month old bull calf
october_2011.jpg

November 2011

bull_calves_11-2011.jpg

Polled_brahman_bull_calf_11-2011.jpg

The red speckled heifer is the heifer that I bought this summer and broke her leg on the ride home :bang: . Should have separated her and mom in the trailer, mom stepped on it. Bad break but I had too much money in the heifer and decided to save her. Took her to a vet who is very experienced in breaks and leg injuries in horses. He put the bone back in place, put screws in it and a cast on it. After about a 2 months she has recovered nicely. The leg isnt perfect but she walks fine like nothing happened. I will breed her next year. Not sure wether to Ai her or let her be bred by a bull.

brahman_calves_Thanksgiving_Break_2011.jpg

My favorite heifer. First registered Brahman I bought. Having blood drawn this week to see if she is bred. She was Ai'd to HK VIsa 632 October 29

http://www.hkcattle.com/herd-sires/details.php?id=14

Baby_Bryant_heifer_Nov_2011.jpg

Mr.H Red Rhino daughter AI'd to HK Visa 632 as well will draw blood on her too

Red_Rhino_Daughter_11-2011.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of the calves.
Thanks for looking!
Be blessed!!!

Nice cattle Brafordman. Looks like you are well on your way. Hopefully the little fellers will grow out good for you. My wife is partial to your speckled heifers.

A.J.":7jlhc4ji said:
Nice cattle Brafordman. Looks like you are well on your way. Hopefully the little fellers will grow out good for you. My wife is partial to your speckled heifers.
Thanks.
I really like the speckles as well, they are my favorite.

Great pictures Bradfordman! I don't see too many brahman's up in this neck of the woods. Good luck with the rest of your calves next summer!

Very nice, they look like big ol' hounds. :lol: :lol: But seriously, good looking cattle.

Thanks Bradfordman, I never get to see anything like that. Those ears are like me wearing a ballcap to shade my eyes. Thanks gs

Bradfordman, those are awesome! I worked at a dairy that had a brahma cow in the herd. She was left behind after a rodeo in the community for some reason. She would scare the heck out of you as she would lower her head and walk right up to you, she wanted her face scratched.
I always regret the opportunity I had to buy two weanling bulls at a sale, considered them for my girls for their 4H calf project. No one has ever shown them at our county fair. We obviously showed for the fun not the serious side of it!
Great pictures, that is something I do not do well. Pictorially record events. I am glad some of you do though!

ABrauny":39eaz44k said:
Very nice, they look like big ol' hounds. :lol: :lol: But seriously, good looking cattle.
i bought 8 registerd heifers when i first started out,,, folks would stop their cars to look at em,, some thought they were camels
:cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":3eerbe5j said:
i bought 8 registerd heifers when i first started out,,, folks would stop their cars to look at em,, some thought they were camels
:cowboy:
Now that you say that I'd like to buy a heifer just to throw people off when they drive by :banana:

mlazyj":c3orjx8e said:
These are pictures I won't show my wife . She loves Brahma's and Highlander's . Just curious , why do you draw blood to preg test ? We've always palpated or ultra sound

I usually have my cattle palpated a month after the bull is pulled. However at 30 days the calf could be damaged by palpation.
Ultra sound works better if cows is 60 days bred or more.
Blood test is the safest at 30 days bred.

I need to increase my chances of the heifers settling(especially since i only had 5 units of semen to use) and decrease the chance of the heifers aborting, so blood test is the safest option.

Would like to use the remaining 3 straws next year.

nice looking animals, and if you get one of those bull calves thats good enough for seedstock, you will be lucky...we have far too many seedstock producers that need to take a knife to their offspring.

Brafordman, great post, wonderful to see something different from what's in this neck of the woods. Not many Brahmans around here. Good to read about the speckled heifer's leg, glad it could be done!

I gather they have great dispositions?

Gale Seddon":12ce9j7s said:
Brafordman, great post, wonderful to see something different from what's in this neck of the woods. Not many Brahmans around here. Good to read about the speckled heifer's leg, glad it could be done!

I gather they have great dispositions?

If the Brahman bull or cow is not gentle she will not be getting in the trailer and coming to my ranch.
Its one of the first things i look for when i choose brahman.

The majority of brahman herd are big babies. They love attention and to be loved on. The "craziest" brahman in my herd are cows or heifers that will sniff my hand but wont let me pet them.

Latest posts