First 2018 calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This little heifer came 5 days ago. Sure was glad that she waited until after the cold and snow. The cow is a brindle that was purchased as a heifer at a Hereford influence sale, so far she has always weaned off one of the biggest calves each year. This girl will have some growing to do.

Nice looking calf. I'm leaning towards ai breding my red angus to a Hereford next go around. Like the looks of a red baldy.

farmboy80":2o1u6qsb said:
Do you have a weight on her, or a guess?

I don't have a weight, and my guessing is admittedly not very good, but I thought at the time I was tagging her maybe 70 or maybe a little more. We are using a home raised Hereford bull out of registered parents. Last year most of his calves were average size maybe a little bigger than some of our Angus, but not much at all except for 1 large bull calf from a big Hereford cow.

TennesseeTuxedo":2bs9pj1h said:
How did your Limi cross calves do at the sale barn?
Not sure if you were talking to me or ky. But I'm keeping mine until this spring and I'll sell two of them. I'm keeping one for a replacement heifer.

farmboy80":1zjza9es said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1zjza9es said:
Not sure if you were talking to me or ky. But I'm keeping mine until this spring and I'll sell two of them. I'm keeping one for a replacement heifer.

Actually KY Hills but I'd love to see some pics of your calves.

TennesseeTuxedo":sjf1b3v5 said:
farmboy80":sjf1b3v5 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":sjf1b3v5 said:

Actually KY Hills but I'd love to see some pics of your calves.
I can't figure out how to post them on here or I would. I'd love to show them off. They're nothing special, just cross bred calves out of cross bred cows. But I like them.

It actually worked! I'll take more up to date pictures tomorrow. These were taken in July when they were born.
Sorry pictures aren't the greatest.

TennesseeTuxedo":2m1fjma4 said:

I thought they did pretty well, and weighed good, they were sold in a CPH sale. We kept 2 heifers by him.

Ky hills":20u4cpv6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":20u4cpv6 said:

I thought they did pretty well, and weighed good, they were sold in a CPH sale. We kept 2 heifers by him.

I should have my first by him any day now. I gave him a 2 week head start over the Hereford bull.

TT I will post some pictures here in a day or two of one of the Lim/herf cross that we bought from Ky hills.
Lets just say that I am impressed.

The Hereford calf we bought from him isn't bad either.

Davemk":21u58mwe said:
TT I will post some pictures here in a day or two of one of the Lim/herf cross that we bought from Ky hills.

That would be great Dave. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Where are you located?

TennesseeTuxedo":20t07nlo said:
Davemk":20t07nlo said:

That would be great Dave. I look forward to seeing the pictures. Where are you located?

I live in Ohio. I can look out my front window and see Greenup County Ky. 1 hour from Maysville. 1 1/2 to Winchester.

Davemk":mai2z3d0 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":mai2z3d0 said:
Davemk":mai2z3d0 said:

I live in Ohio. I can look out my front window and see Greenup County Ky. 1 hour from Maysville. 1 1/2 to Winchester.

Okay, I know where you are.