FIRE! Close -- too close.

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope and pray that thing can get under control soon.

Right now on our local news here in Va. it is reported that it is only 10% contained and that winds are an issue.

My prayers are going out to those who are dealing with this.

Fire has always been my biggest fear.

Stay safe.

Katherine

Dave":13j4hps5 said:
The news this morning is calling the fire 28,000 acres with 70 some homes burned. It is only 10% contained. The forecast is for the wind to shift from blowing out of the west to the northeast. That is good and bad. Part of the fire will be blown back on to its self so it wont run like it was. The bad part is Kathie is on the south side of the fire. For the most part there is the Yakima River between her and the fire. And there is a lot of irrigated ground on the south side of the river. You can bet that the leading edge of that irrigated ground is getting the water poured to it right now.

It is still a big scary monster. And the weather forcast is for record hot temperatures on Thurday and Friday so they sure aren't out of danger yet.

That's pretty much the status, and what's happening, Dave. I find it hard to believe that they only lost another 3,000 acres in the last 24 hrs. Don't have complete info yet this morning, but I think most of the trouble is now NE of us, and they are trying to keep it from reaching timber again.

UPDATE, Wed. morning. Good morning to all the good people here. It is still very smokey this morning, but looks like we dodged the bullet (at our place) during the night, and the cattle can stay here in their own pasture. YAHOOOOOO! Fire is still moving in other areas in the County. Each and every offer of assistance was/is much appreciated. It's amazing how this community has jumped in to provide needed services, made donations, offered manual labor and prayers, for those who lost their homes or were displaced from their homes or were fleeing and needed extra hands. Today, we'll bring vehicles back home. We'll both try to get some rest, and I will probably spend a little "quality time" with an oxygen tank.

Received a call a few minutes ago, looking for volunteers with trucks/horse trailers. Unfortunately, we are too pooped to pop for that today. Many, many horses were moved to the fairgrounds and other equine facilities ahead of the fire; now they are going out to find those that were in the path and injured. :( But they are sure welcome to put our trailer to work.

I know you've had it rough and that feeling of helplessness will wear on you. Hope you get some rain or something to knock it out. Stay safe.

Fire4.jpg

Fire5.jpg

It is nice to see that at least a couple houses survived. I imagine it is the ones further west into the trees that did fair so well.

Dave":2bpaktd3 said:
It is nice to see that at least a couple houses survived. I imagine it is the ones further west into the trees that did fair so well.

Another flare up right now -- between the X of 97 and 970; wind from the south; headed for timber. Very not good.

Kathie in Thorp":3q96q5g5 said:
Dave":3q96q5g5 said:

West of us hit hard. Another flare up right now -- between the X of 97 and 970; wind from the south; headed for timber, and in the general direction of small hamlet of Liberty. Either side of 97 in the Liberty area is all timber. Very not good.

Kathie in Thorp":1231qdio said:
Kathie in Thorp":1231qdio said:
Dave":1231qdio said:

West of us hit hard. Another flare up right now -- between the X of 97 and 970; wind from the south; headed for timber, and in the general direction of small hamlet of Liberty. Either side of 97 in the Liberty area is all timber. Very not good.

If it gets up to Liberty it could run clear to Wenatchee before they will be able to stop it.

dun":29dv9jw8 said:
Thanks, Dun. Am not sure where the pic of the doe was taken -- could be 3/4-mile above us or 12 miles from here. We've been expecting an influx of fleeing deer and elk and "whatever" through the place, but so far, just our normal population of mule deer.

The other photo is what we woke up to Tuesday morning. We live in that little valley in the photo. So, you can imagine how surprised we were that nobody was banging on our door in the middle of the night Monday! This is an East/West shot. Our place would be about another almost-mile west (left).

Dave -- You know the area . . . . . fire is now in the timber off 97. Think it's still just on the east side of it. Am not sure if it's taking a straight path to Liberty, but they are evacuating up there. Just contacted friends on the west side of 97 and told them to bring stock here if necessary.

Kathie in Thorp":gf66mrp5 said:
Thanks, Dun. Am not sure where the pic of the doe was taken -- could be 3/4-mile above us or 12 miles from here. We've been expecting an influx of fleeing deer and elk and "whatever" through the place, but so far, just our normal population of mule deer.

THat is why I don't like the high game fencing.

Thanks kathie and Dave for keeping us updated, any recent word on containment?

Alan

Alan":125udvi4 said:
Thanks kathie and Dave for keeping us updated, any recent word on containment?

Alan
Have not heard anything really new this morning. Yesterday morning they said 10% and were hoping for 25% by the end of the day. However, at the end of the day all the ruckus started up on 97. Have not heard this morning how that effort is going, but am not hearing craziness on the scanner, and there is very little wind, so I'm hoping that is all good. Looking at the wind turbines above us, whatever breeze there is is coming from the SE, and THAT is not good, since they are trying to prevent the 97 fire from advancing north. Helicopters and bombers are at work this morning. I'm not. 3 days of heavy smoke and 2 nights without sleep have taken a toll, and I'm staying home with my oxygen today.

Other than planes and water are they using anything like firelines and back fires or is that possible in your area?

Jogeephus":12y5ggx5 said:
Other than planes and water are they using anything like firelines and back fires or is that possible in your area?
Absolutely, Jo. Well, actually, I don't know about back fires. This is windy country, and direction can change in a heartbeat and really screw up a back fire effort. There are fire lines, hand crews, bulldozers -- all that stuff. Kenny Thomas in VA probably has more information about the resources actually at work here than I do.

I didn't hear anything real new this morning. They were saying that it might take a week or two to get this totally under control. Reading between the lines I don't think they made that 25% last night. But they did down grade the size by about 4,000 acres but that is an educated guess to start with. With the northeast wind yesterday afternoon we had smoke clear over here. And I am a 3 hour drive from that area. They said that they had stopped the eastern movement of the fire. From Kathie's headed east the land levels out some and there are very few trees. Mostly just grass and sagebrush. To the west the land is a bit steeper and the forests start. Headed north up Hwy 97 it turns to heavy forest on very rugged ground. It is next to impossible to fight if it gets up into that country.
They have the fair grounds packed full of animals from the fire area. And the fair starts in a week or so. I saw a state vet I know on TV yesterday caring for the animals at the fair grounds.
Record breaking heat here on the coast today. When this heat moves East it isn't going to help things. And thunder storms forecast for Saturday.
A lot of our fire crews have gone ther to fight this. Yesterday afternoon there was a little grass fire about a mile from my place. Only about a quarter mile from the fire station. But the crew that put it out was from a town 30 miles away. I think all of the people from my station are over in Kathie's area.

Latest posts