Fire ants

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches":3n7tappu said:
no, they just move. been there, tried it. I can't wait for the predator flies to move into our area and attack them.

Don't hold your breath. They released some as a test just a few miles ( maybe 5 or so ) from me a couple of years ago and I haven't seen any big impact on the number of mounds yet.

The only thing I've seen that slows them down is the cold. One spring I was dragging the pasture to bust up the paddies and knocked the tops off alot of the mounds. It was drizzling rain while I was doing it, that night we had a late freeze. That seemed to set them back for awhile.

;-)

A cup or so of gasoline (do not light ) or a cup or so of bleach poured on the the mounds will kill a bunch of them.
There are many other things that will do the same thing but this is the most cost effective for me.
I do this around the house, barn, etc. It may not kill the queen, or eliminate the colony, but they sure move elsewhere.

The salesman told me you can put it on pasture but keep the cows off for 1 week.

He said they always make the label more demanding than it should really be because of lawsuits.

He also said "Off the record" you probably wouldn't have to keep the cows off at all if the grass was very tall.

I'm trying some this year. Cows and all. :shock: I'll be the guinea pig. :lol:

Caustic advised me a couple of years ago to put liquid 7 in my tank when spraying for weeds. It don't kill em all but its the best method I've used.

A guy came over a couple of weeks ago to buy some heifers and as we were walking out through one of the pastures he nodded toward an ant hill and told me to put baby powder on it, cover it good and it would kill them. Think I'm going to try it.

Amdro is what my states department of primary industries have been using. We had some hitch a ride on a container ship, and they were spreading rapidly out from the port. The amdro has really knocked them down, so it looks like the eradication program might be successfull.

They were going door to door treating everyones yards, 4 wheel bikes for larger properties and helicopters for inaccessible areas.