Finishing Young Longhorn Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

DarMar

Reaction score
I just started raising four Longhorns, three as pets and one for food. The 5 month old steer has a date with the butcher the second week of January. I've been feeding him 7-8 lbs of 20% protein cattle cubes from Tractor Supply along with coastal bermuda hay each day. I've got him penned up in a 20'x20' enclosure. I grew up on a grain farm so I'm a little green when it comes to raising cattle. Is there something else I should be feeding him to fatten him up more? I only have access to feed from Tractor Supply and the local feed store. Any advice would be appreciated.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, butI think no matter what he'll be too young to really put on any fat at that age.

Maybe "fatten" was an incorrect word to use. I guess I should have asked what I should be feeding him to gain the most weight.

I'd say that 5 months is way too young. Should be closer to a year.

Regarding what to feed, there are some experts on here. Maybe some will chime in to help you out.

Hate to burst your bubble, but the other guys are trying to put it nicely. There is NOTHING you can do to finish off a steer at 8-9 months old. You are jumping the gun by at least 6 months and more likely 8-10 unless you plan on putting it on a very consistent grain plan where you really ramp it up. Like the others said, there are plenty of guys on here who can give you a good feed schedule to finish out a steer on grain, but there is no one who has figured out how to do it in 8 months. We finish all ours on grass only so I can't help you there other than to say if you want to do it that way, you better have some good pasture with some forbs and legumes to finish him on.

Latest posts