FINISHING STEER

Help Support CattleToday:

NOPLCLKNEB

Reaction score
I kept one steer to feed out this year. I started him on corn Oct 1. I worked up to 22 lbs of corn a day by Nov 1st. We just had, and are having a really cold snap and he quit eating corn and just eats alfalfa. He eats alfalfa good, drinking good just doesn't touch the corn for the last three days? Any Ideas?

Temp at night 8-15 degrees, day 25-30, snow covered. He is in a small pasture (5 acres) and is still eating grass along with the hay.

sounds to me like he just cut hisself back off of corn.an is getting enough from the hay an pasture.how does his manure look is it tight or loose.scott

ok cut his corn back.an feed him hay in its place.im betting your seeing alot of corn in his manure.wich means he has to much corn in his diet.an not digesting it.scott

How much does he weigh? Rule of thumb is 2 to 2.5% of body weight up to 25lb a day. If you overfeed, he will go off his feed. Best cure is hay and patience, but whether he was overfed or not, introduce the feed at about half what he's been getting. I'd also smell the feed and see if it is okay. Sometimes it gets wet and they just don't want it.

Latest posts