Finishing Holstein steers

Help Support CattleToday:

sassafras manor

Reaction score
I have 2 Holstein steers that have been raised mostly on grass with a handful of cracked corn and pelleted sweet feed as a treat to keep them managable. They were born in April 2010 and have done quite well, in comparison to our Angus heifers we had butchered last fall I am guessing their weight in the 1000-1100 range. Due to recent storm damage, many local corn farmers will be getting into their fields to harvest "downed" corn in the next few days. The moisture levels are testing out in the 25% area but due to the fact most of it is down on the ground, the need to get it out before long. In the process as they run it thru their rotary screen which allows the fines to fall out onto the ground outside of the bin. So I was thinking that rather than feeding these 2 thru the winter on hay, maybe I should finish them this fall on the corn fines. Would I be better off to wait until they are closer to ther second birthday or finish them this fall? What are your thoughts? FWIT our freezer is barren of beef......

the quicker you get those steins on grain the better off you will be, they will just grow and grow frame on grass, they need more energy soon.

if you can get corn pretty cheap at harvest time id go ahead an put then on feed for 60 days an then butcher them.they should weigh close to 1250 in 60 days.

I failed to add the the corn "fines" are free for the taking, the only cavaet is that since they do not store well they must be fed in a short amount of time. But between 6 head of cattle, 4 hogs, 50 chickens and 100 turkeys I should not have a problem using up the supply every few days.

I hate to through cold water on your idea because I have had the same idea in the past. But fines are what cause the biggest problem with feeding holstein steers. The easy availability of the starch in the fines makes it really easy to be digested therefore its like eating acouple candy bars and bottle of Mt Dew it tastes so good going down but a few minutes later you have a huge gut ake believe me I have done it before. The money you save on the vet bill and lost gains will easily make up for the corn cost. Holsteins will do alot better for you on whole or cracked corn just pour the corn on them you can also feed 30% corn gluten or even ddgs if you want to cheapen it up alittle. The name of the game is energy they need plunty energy to finish.

Skip - even rampling up slowly over the course of time it will have a detrimental effect? I had the same opportunity 2 or 3 seasons ago and even slowly rampling it up to our angus we were feeding out they never received more than a little over 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket between 3 500 pounders. I am not loking to have them on the fines at a "full feed" rate so what if i were to cut it with a pelletized finishing feed?
Thanks - Matt

I am feeding 25 holstein steers myself and I screen all of my feed mostly because I buy all my feed and the elevator always has what I consider "hog feed" in there its a pain in the butt, But after you have one steer go off feed you have lost all your profit. I am not saying you cant try it I just don't think its worth it just my opinion.

Latest posts