Finish off Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

C HOLLAND

Reaction score
I have a 27 month old Char heifer that I think is open (waiting for blood test results) and I plan to put her in the freezer verses selling her.

The question I have will it do any good to put her on grain at this point (1-2 months of grain??), she weighs around 1200 lbs, or will this just add to the back fat and only be a waste of money.

thanks in advance.

She will finish out, we have a pen of 7 open heifers that are around 1200-1300lbs, they are gelbvieh/angus, came in about 60 days ago and we will kill them in another couple weeks.

I would put her on grain and good hay. It is a personal thing. If she has been on winter wheat, you definately want to get her off of that for a spell before processing her. Some cows fed out on sudan are good eating. It could be that she is fine as is. Does she appear to be fattened already?

backhoeboogie":xsoyoqfo said:
I would put her on grain and good hay. It is a personal thing. If she has been on winter wheat, you definately want to get her off of that for a spell before processing her. Some cows fed out on sudan are good eating. It could be that she is fine as is. Does she appear to be fattened already?

She has been on just hay (peanut and coastal) only all winter and about 3 lbs/day of soy hull pellets because the hay is not the best this year. She is in pretty good shape, I don't think she is fat and could stand about 60 days of grain and hay only.

thanks for the replies

C HOLLAND":3qyaotvb said:
backhoeboogie":3qyaotvb said:

She has been on just hay (peanut and coastal) only all winter and about 3 lbs/day of soy hull pellets because the hay is not the best this year. She is in pretty good shape, I don't think she is fat and could stand about 60 days of grain and hay only.

thanks for the replies

Maybe more if you want good beef. Feed her a good grain diet ad libitum until she finishes.

If that is one of those registered heifers you bought, you do know that she was guaranteed to be a breeder.

Latest posts