Financing horse stuff

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":21gd2int said:
They ruin grass, ain't no doubt about that. I rotate mine, before they can kill it. I see alot of pasture ornament horses in my travels. I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.

I tried to rotate mine with the cattle, but they would chase and bite the cattle, so that ended pretty quickly. When we move the cattle off a section, we remove the temporary wires... to place them in the next area to be grazed, so the horses have to stay in their own field because I do not want them chasing my cows nor do I want them taking the good grass too short.

Also if you have to finance toys you can't afford them. I bet I was 25 or 30 before I knew that people did such a thing. If it wasn't something for work and I couldn't afford it then I wasn't going to buy it.
Now as far as financing work stuff that's different, I'm loaded up on that.

I just think that buying an old tractor is a better investment as a lawn ornament than a horse.. you can get one that's broken down to begin with so you don't have to put in the work of breaking it!

We're still dealing with the aftermath of 25 Percheron horses roaming on our place unchecked for years, the compacted the bejesus out of the fields, some places with very nice soil still refuse to grow... And we've been at it for 25 years already.

Bigfoot":3glqrsea said:
They ruin grass, ain't no doubt about that. I rotate mine, before they can kill it. I see alot of pasture ornament horses in my travels. I wonder of all the horses in the United States, what percentage are ridden with some degree of regularity. My son and I were talking about this subject over the weekend.
BF having been involved with all types of livestock over the years from a nutritional standpoint, I can assure you that probably at least 90% of all the horses in the country need nothing but some grass or hay along with water and some loving. But we think we have to load them up on $20 a bag horse feed with tons of calories in it...they eat it and go lay down under a tree and dose all day....what I call literally "loving them to death".

BTW AC what gives with carrying the wallet in the front pocket?? Don't want to mess up the look of that cute little "bootie'?? :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:

TexasBred":10ggthy9 said:
BTW AC what gives with carrying the wallet in the front pocket?? Don't want to mess up the look of that cute little "bootie'?? :lol2: :lol2: :mrgreen:
Go spend a few weeks at a time in the saddle. The wallet in the back pocket is the first thing that goes and underwear is the next. :lol:

cow pollinater":3nne5bl4 said:
TexasBred":3nne5bl4 said:
Go spend a few weeks at a time in the saddle. The wallet in the back pocket is the first thing that goes and underwear is the next. :lol:
I don't even carry a wallet anymore. Haven't in 20 years or more. I have a little money clip that has a place for cards and keep that in my front pocket. To many years driving.

Fire Sweep Ranch":hvb1kg2j said:
Angus Cowman":hvb1kg2j said:
I own a horse because I enjoy them but have never let a horse own me
Wish I had more time to use mine now but that is just how it goes. And no TB I didn't take offense :lol:

Right there is the problem, people allow the horse to own them! When the market was good, we kept a QH stud and bred mares. When the slaughter houses closed, I saw the writing on the wall and quickly changed my stock from horses to cattle, and never looked back! Gelded the stud and traded him for some work on our new home, sold all the foals, and kept just a few mares that were descendants of the first mare I ever owned (at 10).
Got one of 5 leaving for Arizona in two weeks (gave her to one of my old high school students), and would like to drop one or two more and I would be happy. All they do is eat hay and ruin pasture. We do ride some, but our place is too small to justify saddling up a horse to bring the cows in. So they are pasture ornaments, confined to a 5 acre pasture that is the worst on my land (because of them). They have great pedigrees, but that does not matter if they are not used in some capacity.
This mare is a Playgun granddaughter. The palomino mare on the left is the one going to AZ in two weeks.
amv044.jpg

The girls playing with the cows... bringing them up from the back pasture
317flzb.jpg

The palomino paint mare my daughter is riding (19 years old) is the dam to the two paint mares (in the top pic, 9 and 10 years old) and the black mare my other daughter is riding (20 years) is the dam to the grey mare above (7 years old). So they have been around a long time! I am hoping when the oldest daughter is done with college, she takes her two horses with her (the black and grey mare).
That Gray mare is sharp as she can be. I like gray horses.

I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying a wallet while you're out riding a horse all day :idea: :?: :???:

You're miles from a place where you would need or could use a wallet anyway :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

John SD":3cz2rguq said:
I guess I don't understand the concept of carrying a wallet while you're out riding a horse all day :idea: :?: :???:

You're miles from a place where you would need or could use a wallet anyway :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol:
Always good to have an ID on you even when you are alone in the woods. ID the body if nothing else.

cow pollinater":3l5kyr6c said:
TexasBred":3l5kyr6c said:
I can understand that. But most of these guys have never worked from a saddle.

jedstivers":18d7dlo2 said:
I don't even carry a wallet anymore. Haven't in 20 years or more. I have a little money clip that has a place for cards and keep that in my front pocket. To many years driving.

Same here. I carry a money clip in my front pocket with the money folded around my DL, credit card and CHG permit.

TexasBred":1o110itn said:
jedstivers":1o110itn said:

Same here. I carry a money clip in my front pocket with the money folded around my DL, credit card and CHG permit.

I still carry wallet in right hip pocket. Spare change and some Kleenex in right front pocket. Pocket knife, comb, nail clippers in front left front pocket. Top tear duplicate checkbook and a pen in left front shirt pocket, cell phone securely in right shirt pocket.

cow pollinater":39mipdw4 said:
TexasBred":39mipdw4 said:

I still carry mine in the front pocket but have went back to wearing "draws" I did change to thin boxers though. :lol:

The big dog attitude is still alive and well in MO, especially in the high school rodeo crowd. If they can swing it more power to them. What I saw often, with both high school'ers and average rodeo/average roping folks, is a 40k trailer hauling a 1500 dollar horse. It looked like the "show" was more important than what they had to work with after they got there.

talltimber":2fbq9w83 said:
I still carry mine in the front pocket but have went back to wearing "draws" I did change to thin boxers though. :lol:

The big dog attitude is still alive and well in MO, especially in the high school rodeo crowd. If they can swing it more power to them. What I saw often, with both high school'ers and average rodeo/average roping folks, is a 40k trailer hauling a 1500 dollar horse. It looked like the "show" was more important than what they had to work with after they got there.

I tried me some of those boxer "draws". Just could never get use to them. Couldn't keep my shyt in the right place. :lol:

TB
I have carried my wallet or a money clip in my front pocket since I was in my late teens
Riding horses, running heavy equipment,working or driving a wallet in my back pocket hurt my back
Also it is harder to lose
I lost my wallet when I was about 17 stopped to go swimming and when changing my wallet fell out and landed under the truck
Luckily a few older gents found it while fishing a few days later and turned it in everything was still in it including a few $100

Angus Cowman":2a0pzigu said:
TB
I have carried my wallet or a money clip in my front pocket since I was in my late teens
Riding horses, running heavy equipment,working or driving a wallet in my back pocket hurt my back
Also it is harder to lose
I lost my wallet when I was about 17 stopped to go swimming and when changing my wallet fell out and landed under the truck
Luckily a few older gents found it while fishing a few days later and turned it in everything was still in it including a few $100
Tried it the other day just for the heck of it. Guess it's something you get use to. Everytime I moved seems I pinched something in there with that wallet.

talltimber":3pz45rmp said:
cow pollinater":3pz45rmp said:
TexasBred":3pz45rmp said:

This is what I was thinking the whole time reading this old thread. Its not what you pull in, but what you back off.

Latest posts