Finally some real food..............

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred said:
M.Magis said:
LOL

I'll say it again, most of you apparently haven't seen or eaten the "new" school lunches. It's horrible. The bread and pasta are just terrible, there are only a handful of things that appear to be worth eating. It's sure a heck not the cooks fault, they only prepare what they're given. There was never anything wrong with the food before, and at least most kids would eat it. It's shocking the amount of food that's thrown away these days. The worst part is, the food isn't any healthier. Especially when you factor in most of it going to waste.
Haven't eaten it but have seen it and you're right. Not even good to look at, let alone consume. I have grandchildren from 8th grade down to pre-k and they all take their lunch to school

It's been almost 30 years since I have eaten any of it and it wasn't good then and I don't want to think what it would be like now. Back then I'm sure it was the cheapest end food from whatever supplier gave the cheapest bid. Think store brand canned and frozen processed foods from the lowest end stores around, then by time it's prepared and sit out till 500-1000+ children get to eat no wonder a lot is wasted. I will say that for myself and the ones I was around we did usually clean our plates because we were hungry by that time of day. I do remember throwing away a helping of hard pieces of broccoli stems. I have always liked good fruits and vegetables but the schools version was bad. Comparable to grocery store tomatoes in the winter time when you are used to real ones from the garden, or fresh or home canned green beans compared to store brand canned.

Old school lunches weren't any good either. The hamburgers had bones in them. I always sold mine for a quarter.

I don't understand why the US is preparing lunches like this honestly. Why not put the onus on the family?

M.Magis said:
cowgal604 said:
I don't understand why the US is preparing lunches like this honestly. Why not put the onus on the family?

Is this a real question?

Ya its a valid question. I mean, in the US there are children who cant even get care from a doctor. Now it sounds like they are also being treated like inmates with food. From an outsider. I see the system as a complete disaster.

cowgal604 said:
M.Magis said:
cowgal604 said:

Is this a real question?

Ya its a valid question. I mean, in the US there are children who cant even get care from a doctor. Now it sounds like they are also being treated like inmates with food. From an outsider. I see the system as a complete disaster.
It's all relevant to the class. Lower class that aren't working, drawing a check for doing nothing, many on drugs, can't be bothered with getting up and fixing anything to eat for the kids. Many get breakfast, lunch, a snack, and something else to take home after school.
But those get free health care.
The working class people are expected to pay for all of it. The working class are sometimes barely getting by.

Cowgal, it's 100% about nutrition nowadays...not taste.
I think the prison food comparison is a bit extreme, but will go so far as to say it's a lot like military combat rations. Protein and carbs for energy.... fats not so much...taste is the last thing they worry about tho I can't say that MREs are completely unpalatable. I ate stuff from a green can that no school kid would eat.

(I've never been to prison so I'm pretty much 'talkin out of school')

School lunches in the 50s and 60s made millions & millions of dollars for brown paper bag companies as well as for Spam, baloney, and tuna fish companies....

(it's a wonder me and none of my siblings ever got sick from sandwiches stored in lockers of un-airconditioned school for 1/2 a day..we had mayonnaise on everything)

kenny thomas said:
cowgal604 said:
M.Magis said:
Is this a real question?

It's all relevant to the class. Lower class that aren't working, drawing a check for doing nothing, many on drugs, can't be bothered with getting up and fixing anything to eat for the kids. Many get breakfast, lunch, a snack, and something else to take home after school.
The working class people are expected to pay for all of it. The working class are sometimes barely getting by.

I get all of that. One of my close friends is a pediatric surgeon in the US. I hear all sorts of things from her and her fight to get better care for children in general.

We have some low income schools here that also receive the breakfast program. But the mass feeding of kids I don't know. I wouldn't want my child even eating that. My son is enrolled in private school to avoid the government funding pumping into his veins. I get that comes from a place of privilege.

The USA is a beast of a country. Meaning very large in size with more diversity that most countries have to deal with. I am not suggesting much of anything other than feeding every child in the USA food that is junk food and not providing basic human rights, which is equal healthcare for all is bizarre to me.

There is a place for everyone in the system. Even drug addicts on welfare. There is a place for those people.

kenny thomas said:
cowgal604 said:
M.Magis said:
Is this a real question?

That pretty well sums it up Kenny. Taxpayers pay for it, the school systems get a big portion of our property taxes. From what I understand our county's schools now provide both breakfast and lunch. When I was in school I would have taken my lunch but it wasn't hardly possible as classes were likely on another wing from where locker was and certain wings were dismissed at a time so bringing lunches weren't encouraged.

cowgal - like someone said, I don't think people are talking about the quality of the food as much as the taste. Gov't wants people to eat like you - Organic - non-GMO - bunch of BS so people can make more money on a lower quality food. this is my opinion - I know it is not yours. You made the comments about pumping ? in their veins. I just added my :2cents:
"My son is enrolled in private school to avoid the government funding pumping into his veins."

Jeanne - I do not trust the quality of the food. I also don't think it makes much sense to feed children that don't need feeding when there are far bigger fish to fry, in my opinion. Leave the lunch programs in the areas that need it, but don't go about feeding every child in every school. Put the onus on the families. Set an expectation of what should be in the lunches and teach the families how to properly feed their children. Just reading on here I have learnt that most Americans don't trust the government enough to put their guns down (not saying they shouldn't have rights to them) but they trust the government to grow their child and influence everything down to their eating habits. I dunno...call me crazy, but not my kid.

Our biggest problem in the schools (IMHO) is the teachers trying to brain wash kids into their way of thinking. Eating habits - things they should be protesting. No teacher has the right to try to sway the way our children think.
You will find I am a strong NON BELIEVER in organic. I refuse to buy ANYTHING labeled organic. I will not support it. That & non-GMO and all these other fads are a waste of people's money. AS SAID - this is MY opinion and I am not trying to sway anyone else into thinking this way.
Parents still have the right to make a lunch for their children. No one is stopping them, to the best of my knowledge. Of course, my grandkids are 30ish. LOL I sure don't have any first hand knowledge!!!
" I do not trust the quality of the food." does this mean because it's not organic or because you don't trust the farmers that produced the food?

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Our biggest problem in the schools (IMHO) is the teachers trying to brain wash kids into their way of thinking. Eating habits - things they should be protesting. No teacher has the right to try to sway the way our children think.
You will find I am a strong NON BELIEVER in organic. I refuse to buy ANYTHING labeled organic. I will not support it. That & non-GMO and all these other fads are a waste of people's money. AS SAID - this is MY opinion and I am not trying to sway anyone else into thinking this way.
Parents still have the right to make a lunch for their children. No one is stopping them, to the best of my knowledge. Of course, my grandkids are 30ish. LOL I sure don't have any first hand knowledge!!!
" I do not trust the quality of the food." does this mean because it's not organic or because you don't trust the farmers that produced the food?

I do disagree on the organics. Especially when it comes to eating foods that come from seeds that are GMO. Cancer is a cell mutation, so is most GMO foods. I was involved in a drug trial where I learnt a ton on human cells and reproduction. My mother in law also has a very rare auto immune disease that is said to have potential to be caused by heavy GMO in the body. And she is a huge non organic lady. Says its garbage and now she's in kidney failure with some rare disease.

People will always argue that food is what's killing us. But actually statistically people are living significantly longer than ever. The food isn't killing us...we are living longer and they are now capable of diagnosing things they have never been able to before, that's why cancer is more prevalent.

But for us...my mom wanted the farm in the first place so she could feed us what she grew. I don't feed my kid food that has a 2 year shelf life. That cant be good for you.

sim.-ang.king said:
Unless you've eaten from the Obama era crap food mandate, you'll never understand why they are dumping it, and going with snack food.

Exactly. I can speak from first hand experience about the food. It's already better from previous years, but the Obama era food was like eating cardboard with dust on it. It's always been customary to make fun of school lunches, but the Obama food took it to a new level. For example, the breakfast biscuits were hard and tasted like dirt. The bacon was like a piece of rubber. A lot of things had no taste with a hint of cardboard. I could go on, but it's horrible. Someone mentioned that hungry kids will eat whatever is put before them; if you were really, really hungry, as in your hadn't eaten for a day or so, that's true, but if you eat on a regular basis, a lot of kids dump the school lunch.