Finally some calving weather !

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
We have not had a great deal of snow this winter- but we have experienced some sessions of bitter cold..... After last weeks -20 to -30 temps (with -50 chill factors) --- yesterday the temp hit 58 and today it was 62... :D
Its probably good we didn't have a lot of snow- because south and west where they did- this warmup is really causing the flooding... And from what I heard the snowpack in many of the drainages are close to 200% of normal...

For a change my girls listened to me and kept their legs crossed until yesterday evening when the first heifer dropped a calf....I think several more will go tonight... Old cows aren't scheduled to start until about the 18th-- but I wouldn't mind if they took advantage of this warm spell....

Perfect calving weather ! L B B Juanadamere 208 AAA #17393696 with her 75 lb bull calf..

Now that's God blessing you. No one can plan calving to fit into a window like that. By the way that is a nice calf especially when they get up and nurse.

Warmer here in Iowa as well. I've been calving since February. My stress level is so much lower now that it has warmed up. I think next year I'll start my main herd the 1st of March.

63 degrees here today...And our normal 30 mph breeze is drying things out fast... I got 2 calves from the old cows (which is a couple days early) but figure they will move into full speed about tomorrow when a front is supposed to move thru and give us cooler temps and rain...