Finally old enough to help

Help Support CattleToday:

Big T

Reaction score
Worked cows this morning and my little man is finally old enough to help. Just thought I would share. Calves are by All In, MAF Tanker, and a Profit son.

That's great. im sure both of y'all were proud as you could be. That's a big milestone for him. Your calves look nice too. I'm looking forward to those times with my son. He's just 2 right now, but he thinks he's 10. He's always ready to go out and work with me and take it all in.

It is nice to have him interested. My grandson is 14 but has no interest in the cows, I think the shyt puts him off. My grandaughter is 17 but is always keen to be involved but unfortunately is never around these days.

Ken

It is good that he is interested in being outside helping and not inside on the computer and cell phone like so many today. Enjoy each moment together as they go by fast. The lady I'm in a relationship with has two great grands that like to help but they aren't around much. I enjoy them. The others aren't that interested. Only if they think they will get paid.

I have my fingers crossed that my youngest (4) granddaughter is interested in the cows. She's gotten to where she wants to go to the farm with me to check cows when she's here. Went out there Thursday and I have a 2 week old heifer that I haven't given a thought about what name to put on her papers. She saw her and dubbed her Donut. Sent the papers in yesterday.

Donut is a name we haven't thought of. My girls (11 & 8 ) name all our cows and calves. We have a lot of Disney princess! Lol. Oh well it keeps them interested in them.

farmboy80":2l5c2jq3 said:
Donut is a name we haven't thought of. My girls (11 & 8 ) name all our cows and calves. We have a lot of Disney princess! Lol. Oh well it keeps them interested in them.

It wasn't a name I had thought of either. :lol:

I remember those days. Seems it goes through stages.
1st pretending to help
2nd actually being useful
3rd totally independent
4th tearing up a bunch of stuff :D

I praise anybody that teaches a kid to work. A man stopped mei Wendy's yesterday. Me and my kids had been fencing in the mud. He said he hadn't seen look like that in a while. Sad, but true.

slick4591":ihd3a2bc said:
I have my fingers crossed that my youngest (4) granddaughter is interested in the cows. She's gotten to where she wants to go to the farm with me to check cows when she's here. Went out there Thursday and I have a 2 week old heifer that I haven't given a thought about what name to put on her papers. She saw her and dubbed her Donut. Sent the papers in yesterday.
my middle granddaughter, names ours too,the bad part is,when its time to sell....she don't want to turn em loose..made the mistake of keeping one in the past..what a piece o crap it turned out to be.but she'll learn.....
...eventually :cowboy:

We've always stressed from the beginning they're not pets. They're either money or food. It does get a little hard once in a while, but they understand.
Having pigs helped them to stop getting attached to animals. Lol Now they say the really like them, but they like bacon better!! :lol:

slick4591":3qsitz16 said:

My sister and her family live in a huge city because of her husband's job. They love our critters. Two years ago, I asked my sister if her kids wanted to name a just-born bull calf ... the only requirement wad the name had to start with a "C".

About two hours later, I get the call ... my youngest niece (3 at the time) suggested Cookie. When it was time to register, that was on the papers. The look on the buyers face was awesome when he asked his name! He's currently serving heifers in Michigan.

ALACOWMAN":13hfgj2z said:
slick4591":13hfgj2z said:
my middle granddaughter, names ours too,the bad part is,when its time to sell....she don't want to turn em loose..made the mistake of keeping one in the past..what a piece o crap it turned out to be.but she'll learn.....
...eventually :cowboy:

Tip -- Let her name nice cattle you'll keep, not the turds you don't want to keep.

I was working some yearlings a couple weeks ago when my son and daughter in-law just happen to stop with my only grandson which turned 2 that week. My son will help but never was into it a lot and my daughter in-law she was raised around lots of cattle. They both got out and jumped right into helping me. My daughter in-law said look at Ryker, my grandson, she had given him a piece if a hose about 2 foot long and he was walking back to the alley and hitting them and saying ''GO, GO, GO,'' and he had specks of green cow manure all over him , face and all, I wish I would have had a camera with me, he was some kind of fired up when we got done that he got to help PaPaw work cattle.
Good thing Grandma was not home and we got him washed before she got home.

NOTE: I know some one will probably say something about this so I will get it out of the way now.
He was never in harms way and was being watched well by all of us !!
May have slowed us down some but it was worth it.

BRYANT":170u1g8i said:
I was working some yearlings a couple weeks ago when my son and daughter in-law just happen to stop with my only grandson which turned 2 that week. My son will help but never was into it a lot and my daughter in-law she was raised around lots of cattle. They both got out and jumped right into helping me. My daughter in-law said look at Ryker, my grandson, she had given him a piece if a hose about 2 foot long and he was walking back to the alley and hitting them and saying ''GO, GO, GO,'' and he had specks of green cow manure all over him , face and all, I wish I would have had a camera with me, he was some kind of fired up when we got done that he got to help PaPaw work cattle.
Good thing Grandma was not home and we got him washed before she got home. Enjoy stories like yours.

NOTE: I know some one will probably say something about this so I will get it out of the way now.
He was never in harms way and was being watched well by all of us !!
May have slowed us down some but it was worth it.

Latest posts