Finally got power!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
Our landscape has been forever changed. Never seen anything like this, and hope to never see it again. Just got power back on yesterday and internet today. Running water to cows in the heat gets expensive when using a generator. Will never gripe about the power bill again!

Had six healthy calves the night of the hurricane. Totally amazing that they all survived. Even more amazing that even though half our fence was down, all our cows stayed put. Lost a bull for a while, but he let himself in with the cows on day three. Still no idea where he went.

Had some linemen from Canada in town too. The emergency response has been incredible!

Don't know how farmers in my area are going to make it. Cotton looks picked, irrigation turned over everywhere, pecan trees are gone, chicken houses leveled, peanut buying points were down for a week, hesitant to even consider the timber losses. Going to be a rough couple years.

M-5, you alive?

Glad thing are looking up for you but sorry things are in such a bad state of affairs for so many others.
A few years ago a hurricane came in South La. while I was in Shreveport (north).
Driving back south I saw truck after truck coming in to Louisiana from other states to help restore power. It was just emtionally moving to see those people from other states coming in to help.

Glad you all made it! Any advice for those of us who may be prepping for future weather events? Things you'd have done differently? I always wonder how you get enough gas to keep generators running. We don't have a big tank on site.

Lots of small engine powered generators for sale. For about the same money, you can get a larger used PTO driven generator, if you live in a dairy state. Lots of them sold in the past to small dairies that have since gone out of business.

You need a big throw switch and a socket on the electrical service to disconnect from the line and then plug in the generator. About $400 worth. Money well spent when the zombie apocalypse hits. :nod:

Got power last night. We are surviving. Sofar I have it figured to about 40 $ in gas a day. We didn't loose our freezer so food was not an issue. I took alot of cold showers and first several days pond baths . I don't think I will live long enough to get everything fixed.

boondocks":1n0v1vyo said:
Glad you all made it! Any advice for those of us who may be prepping for future weather events? Things you'd have done differently? I always wonder how you get enough gas to keep generators running. We don't have a big tank on site.

Get a big tank, but put a hand pump on one side of it. We did a lot of driving to Dothan, AL for gas. About 50 miles one way. But took three days to get roads cleared to make the trip.

Tankless gas water heater. Uses almost no electricity. Generator to the freezer, fridge, well, and this will make things livable. A hot shower is a game changer.

Big generator to run the whole house would have been nice, but there always next time. Also, learn how to wire your generator into your breaker box and have the necessary supplies beforehand.

Water: pre storm fill all bath tubs up, get a water filter. Once help showed up there was bottled water aplenty.

Have all clothes washed before the storm. Clean underwear is a good thing.

Food: you can cook anything on a charcoal grill or propane fish cooker (turkey fryer) with cast iron cookware, but only if you have enough charcoal and gas. If you can keep your freezer running, food is not as big an issue.

Join a church: our churches have been the centerpieces of aid. They are where hot meals are being served, shower and laundry stations are set up, and donation centers. FEMA actually has done more than I expected, but the churches are where the real help is.

Looting: own guns and have a big dog. I have been pleased that in my area we have had almost no looting of any kind. I credit it to people are decent here and everyone knows that everyone owns guns.

Help: let people help you. They want to and you need it. Not a time for being proud.

Sharpen the blade on your chainsaw and have gas/oil ready.

Get on a roofers list immediately.

I don't want to start on insurance prep. Maybe buy some lube, cause they're going to do their best to stick it to you.

M-5":jzmljf6z said:
I don't think I will live long enough to get everything fixed.

I've been running nonstop since the hurricane shock wore off the next day, and I don't feel like I've made a dent. Bought one of those grapples to put on the front of the tractor. You can get some stuff moved with one of those!

Really hate that you are going through this as well! Going to be a shortage of contractors and looking like a shortage of money.

Don't know what they're talking about on the news, but some loser from the New York Times interviewed some people in Georgia about their crop losses and turned out a climate change article. If that's any indication of how the rest of the nation cares, we will most definitely be on an island.

I believe I would get a whole house generator and install a propane tank. Would get at least a 250 gallon tank. This would give you the power you need for a while. But in a very extreme situation where you lost the house and everything any generator will not be enough. Storied gas gets old in about six months and you have to contend with water getting into the gas. There is really no way to totally prepare.

Farm Fence Solutions":5u1wmh1k said:
Tornado has a pallet of net wire to send that way, if either of you guys need any, or know anyone who does.
That an excellent offer for someone who has open ground or plenty of money. The high dollar places might have someone build net wire fence for them, otherwise 12ga HT is where it's at. If you can find the time drive down and look at the fence damage caused by the trees. The fence damage is so bad it just needs to be pushed up and rebuilt. If M5 puts anything besides 12ga HT electric fence back he's screwing up, even though there's only half the trees left to cause problems.

hurleyjd":sjston20 said:
I believe I would get a whole house generator and install a propane tank. Would get at least a 250 gallon tank. This would give you the power you need for a while. But in a very extreme situation where you lost the house and everything any generator will not be enough. Storied gas gets old in about six months and you have to contend with water getting into the gas. There is really no way to totally prepare.

some of us are not independently wealthy and have oil wells out our back door. I will end up selling most everything to over this .

True Grit Farms":1kgub6w5 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1kgub6w5 said:
Tornado has a pallet of net wire to send that way, if either of you guys need any, or know anyone who does.
That an excellent offer for someone who has open ground or plenty of money. The high dollar places might have someone build net wire fence for them, otherwise 12ga HT is where it's at. If you can find the time drive down and look at the fence damage caused by the trees. The fence damage is so bad it just needs to be pushed up and rebuilt. If M5 puts anything besides 12ga HT electric fence back he's screwing up, even though there's only half the trees left to cause problems.

I have a guy In iNDIANA that FFS hooked me up with that is going to drill fiberglass post for me. and I will not be stretching anything but HT where I replace fences.

hurleyjd":8hhvyb55 said:
Diesel fuel is where it's at, all the first responders bring tanks of fuel with them. My bad deal was water, my house is supplied from the well at the barn. I'm having a new well drilled on 11/27 for the house. We're also building an in ground safe room - cellar and canning a lot more food. Nothing beats a generator that's capable of running the whole house, AC and hot water is almost a necessity.
I'm sure glad you guy's are getting around to having power again, that makes things a little more bearable.

True Grit Farms":3r7s10le said:
hurleyjd":3r7s10le said:
Diesel fuel is where it's at, all the first responders bring tanks of fuel with them. My bad deal was water, my house is supplied from the well at the barn. I'm having a new well drilled on 11/27 for the house. We're also building an in ground safe room - cellar and canning a lot more food. Nothing beats a generator that's capable of running the whole house, AC and hot water is almost a necessity.
I'm sure glad you guy's are getting around to having power again, that makes things a little more bearable.

It would have been very difficult if it were not for your generosity on lending me your gen. I will have a PTO powered one under the barn If i ever get any new barns built.

M-5":34aliyy0 said:
True Grit Farms":34aliyy0 said:
hurleyjd":34aliyy0 said:

It would have been very difficult if it were not for your generosity on lending me your gen. I will have a PTO powered one under the barn If i ever get any new barns built.
You saved me a lot of headaches. I moved all my equipment into the open fields and sustained zero damage from trees and limbs. I'll also add from now on it's all big rubber tires for the cattle tanks, those plastic one's can't handle trees or big limbs. We sure don't need anymore storms to see what I'm lacking in preparation.

M-5":12esq7ar said:
hurleyjd":12esq7ar said:

some of us are not independently wealthy and have oil wells out our back door. I will end up selling most everything to over this .
Also a lot of the light systems that are used on constructions can be bought cheap most will produce enough power for a house. Cousin bought one for $500 at auction had to spend a little to get it running. Sold it for $2000. It had a kubota engine and had 220 volt aux power outlet.

M-5":3lcttvxe said:
True Grit Farms":3lcttvxe said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3lcttvxe said:

I have a guy In iNDIANA that FFS hooked me up with that is going to drill fiberglass post for me. and I will not be stretching anything but HT where I replace fences.

Good deal. Reminds me that I need to call Larry this morning.

Farm Fence Solutions":f912t96t said:
M-5":f912t96t said:
True Grit Farms":f912t96t said:

Good deal. Reminds me that I need to call Larry this morning.

I am working with steve manner , Nice fella