Finally gettin involved...

Help Support CattleToday:

TxLongHorn920

Reaction score
So after a couple years... Looks like my 'sittin back and watchin' will finally come to an end. My buddy leases 7 acres with a barn where he now keeps his 2 sister angus show heifers. Hes givin them back to his uncle next month after he shows at the state fair and that 7 acres will be empty. Were about to start a job workin for a large purebred angus operation and with the extra money we decided to invest in a pair of commercial calves. Mostly for fun/experience but if possible wed like to raise em up and sell them. His uncle owns an angus farm and would gladly sell us a pair of calves for a good price. What would be the best way to go about this? I guess if we could get a good deal on a couple purebred heifers wed probably take it. Would that be the best way to go? Any advice?

It all depends on what you wanna do, If all you want is to raise 1-2 for the expericance then the two heifers would work you could raise them from weanlings and show them then sell them if thats what your wanting to do
GOOD LUCK

Since you are just getting started, I would buy a couple of pairs with heifers at side and bred back. 3-in-1's are a good way to go. Plus the cows are proven breeders, and that cuts down on the risk of problems generally associated with heifers. You could either sell or keep the heifers at side to grow the herd, your choice.