Figuring out how to work bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
My working pens are pretty lame. Portable panels reinforced with some wooden posts at the alley and an old priefert head gate on some railroad ties. But I've managed to make it work for my few cattle and they are trained to move through it pretty efficiently. But I absolutely can't imagine a several year old bull even fitting through the head gate. How does anyone work a bull with a less-than-ideal setup?

My working pens are pretty lame. Portable panels reinforced with some wooden posts at the alley and an old priefert head gate on some railroad ties. But I've managed to make it work for my few cattle and they are trained to move through it pretty efficiently. But I absolutely can't imagine a several year old bull even fitting through the head gate. How does anyone work a bull with a less-than-ideal setup?
1. Have a very gentle halter broke bull and only doing minor work like vaccines.
2. Rompun (xylazine) is a possibility. Puts them down for a short time. Get the dose correct. Do not use in hot weather (affects their ability to cool themselves). Protect their eyes when they go down. Not the best option. Requires a prescription and hopefully a good relationship with a vet that trusts the ability of the person to use it correctly.
3. Neighbor with a heavy full size squeeze chute that will help you as TC mentioned.
4. Vet with haul in facilities.
5. Vet school if nearby. They work cheap and have excellent facilities generally.
6. Sale barn may allow you to use their facility. But liability is a concern for them.
7. Some people never vaccinate their bull because they can't handle him.

if he's older and in good shape I'd just use a good pour on..if he doesn't need anything else..my neighbor had a setup like yours the bull went through and took the head gate with him..circus act getting it off on the pasture ..and dangerous ..

A dart gun is only $300-350 bucks. Not the best way to do things but much cheaper than rebuilding corrals to fit 1 animal and waaaay better than not getting it done. Only thing we do to bulls is Lepto and worm so couple darts and your done.

For some reason people are always afraid that bulls will kill them or tear the corrals apart. I've had a few that could get a little western on you but they are pretty predictable, mother cows on the other hand........

It is not the easiest thing to hold a mature bull in a head gate due to the thickness of their neck. You need to get a rail behind them quick smart so the can't back out.

Ken

Latest posts