Figuring costs for leasing a bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

ZMT

Reaction score
Just wondering how a person goes about leasing a bull? How do you determine how much to charge on a monthly basis or seasonal basis? I'm in montana and I'm having trouble figuring how much a person would charge say a month to lease a bull. What do you go by? Thanks for your help!

Mostly the going rate in the area you live. I haven't really looked around too much, but in my area an average/good bull seems to run between $300 - $500 for a season (60-90 days).

But I think you need to keep in mind what your plans are for the bull and any risk there might be in bringing any diseases back into your herd. I let someone I know with a closed herd (other than my bull) use him for free just so I don't have to feed him and deal with him when I don't need him. I also rent a couple good higher priced bulls for $500/hd.

I know a guy who rents out bulls. He charges $20 a cow plus delivery and pick up. They aren't the best bulls in the world. And he leaves them a good long time so you can feed them.

I have hired bulls from a guy who turns a fortune. He has heaps of country and as follows.

Goes to the sales and buys the one out animal who didn't get castrated cheap. Takes it home an grows it out. By the time it's 2-3 it looks classy as all bulls ten to muscle up.

Hires them out at 12$ a cow. When they reach maturity he sells them. Hire plus fat price compared to the outlay he makes good money

The down side when you hire a bull you don't know what you are getting

Latest posts