FEVER

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
FEVER, possession date 9/13 weight 620lbs. Only calf on the property. About a week after arrival he started running a fever (9/21). 102.5, Gave him 10cc banamine 9/22 and 9/23, 9/26 Fever 103.5 Hit him with 7cc Draxxin. Monday 9/28 fever 104.9 called vet. Hit him with 15cc Baytril and was handed another 3 shots (15cc each) to give him every 12 hours, Was told to give him 4cc banamine every 6 hours and rinse with water every 2. Gave my last Baytril shot this morning. Temp 104.9. The steer is on the water and feed 16lbs daily. Stools are solid. Has gained 40 lbs since poss date (660 9/26). Any other suggestions /medicines on how to break this fever other than just keep sticking him? Starting to think it may be viral. Thanks

Call your vet back but Resflor Gold has always worked for me & has Banamine in it. Does he have a snotty nose, droopy ears? At least he's still eating/drinking & has good stools. Good luck!

Nose is clear. No snot. Ears are up normal. I guess what is throwing me is the feed. He knocks down 8 lbs in less than 10 mins.

I'd take a blood &/or stool sample to your vet. We recently had a cow that just seemed off & was laying in the pond or the lake all the time; figured it was because she was due to calve within the next few weeks & it was hot. She started losing her appetite so we brought her in, temp 105.8. Vet came out & she was full of cancer/lymphosarcoma. I wouldn't suspect such an outcome in a calf but we certainly didn't expect it in one of our best cows.

So why did you check him to start with? What symptoms made you thing to check his fever? What are your daytime high temps? Is the calf real hairy? Black coat? Where is your location?

Sorry for all the questions but you got me curious.

All of the questions asked by Bird dog are very relevant.
A calf can run a "normal temp" clear up to 102 and 103.
A hot ration, fescue, hot weather can all play a role.

The first thing I'd be doing is getting a new thermometer. He doesn't sound like he is dying the way he is eating.
They don't cost much and it is handy having more than one if it proves correct.
Ken

The reason I noticed the temp is because I always take temps on my show steers the first 2 weeks after we bring them home. 8 hour ride to get this one home. He was 101 the first week. Then it started building over the course of the dates I stated 102.5 103.7 104.9 <<has been 104.9 the last 3 days (daytime and night time). I take his temp 4 times a day and last night at 11pm he was 105.6. Hit him again with banamine.
He's a MAB so yes lots of hair. Kept inside out of the sun with a fan. I have 3 tried 3 different thermometers and all read the same. We are in VA Beach. its been a lil humid and low 80's, actually getting ready to get hit by a hurricane.I have kept him on the same feed he was on at the breeder. Purina Show Chow Fitters Edge. But I have increased it by 8 lbs because hes eating it all in 10 mins. Waiting for vet will update. Thanks for the info

Just thought of something else; maybe he has an infection. Do you know if this steer was cut or banded & when? Or some other injury? We had a bull that was acting punky, looked a little lame but couldn't find anything wrong with his feet/hooves/stifle but his hock was a little swollen. Our vet shaved his leg & discovered a scar & subsequent internal (secondary) infection from most likely a cut. He's Angus & it had his winter coat so it was hard to tell anything was wrong in the first place. Curious to see your update - sending good juju.

Thanks Tcranch. Vet came by this morning. Took a stool sample back to the office. Should know the cause tomm hopefully to get to the bottom of it. Vet gave him 7cc draxxin. Temp fell off this afternoon to 103.7. Recheck in the morn. Just ordered me a bottle of Norflor Gold for any future events

Just wanted to update as not to leave a open ended post. His temp spiked to 105.7 wed night. !03.7-104.5 till this morning. 102.1 this morning @ 4:30am. Samples had come back negative. I guess it was viral. Thanks for the help

That still doesn't sound good Lomac. Did the vet pull blood? I would be real curious to see what his WBC and Platelet count is.
I have not ever had a viral infection run a temp that high for that long. But I do not claim to have seen "everything." :)

Latest posts